disabling PnP to get intel drivers off

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to elaborately explain my problem, please hit up my AIM if you think you can help me out (brodequin11).

The computer im using is prebuilt (gateway). It's not bad, but im having a problem getting my new gfx card, GeForce 6200 OC, to let me play WoW. I initially purchased the video card because i was getting an error during gameplay (just world of warcraft) saying that the igfx display driver stopped responding, but recoved. The screen would go black, i would get that error on the start bar, and the game would keep on going, but the same thing kept happening over and over. So i went out and bought this video card hoping it would fix my problem. Of course, i was wrong. I BELIEVE what the problem is, is that the old display driver keeps trying to install itself onto the computer after i remove it. So it must be a problem in the plug and play, and i need to disable it. but when i go to disable it, i cant because it is grayed out (of course).

Now when i play WoW, most of the time i cant even get past the logon screen without getting the same error, just has a different driver, the one that goes with the nvidia card. My gfx card is PCI. Someone please help me fix this, im getting tired of playing starcraft.

Thanks.

--edit--

I am running windows vista 32 bit btw (god help me)

"My gfx card is PCI." Or do you mean PCI-Express?
We really need to know your model of Gateway.
If you have properly disabled or removed the video graphics driver in Device Manager, you should not be having any interference from PnP from an install of a different card.
Reinstall your drivers, then affirm they are there in your Device Manager listing. Then reboot. VISTA will not install those drivers unless it detects the Video Graphics card.

GT5449E is my model, and the card is PCI, not PCIe. i uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers AFTER disabling and uninstalling the onboard gfx trash. the PnP keeps reinstalling it though when i boot up. i even uninstalled it from the add/remove pgrms list. (intel graphics media something blah blah)

As you already know, this doesn't make sense...
But Gateway commonly stores all the drivers in another location on the hard drive, from which the Device Manager gets them. If you can figger out the Driver ID... or the location for other drivers, then you can search for that spot and delete the incorrect driver.
One way to do that would be to download the driver from the Gateway site, then when following the instructions to install the driver, note what the ID or driver number is, and where it is to be installed... then cancel the driver or allow it to install over the top of the old one... then use Windows Explorer to go to that location and delete it.
Gateway installs all its drivers in the same folder... I just cannot remember where that folder is...
The Gateway Tech Support people are very helpful... among the best for any manufacturer. I'll bet that you will get assistance on this if you ask them via a tech support call. Their tech support is in Tennessee, not Bangalore or Manilla.

okay when i installed the driver, it didnt even let me blink before it was done installing. in other words, its impossible to see where it went. however, i know where the install file is, its some folder called cabs. but this is just the install file. do you have any idea how i can find out where the computer installs these drivers. the tennessee tech support is being quite gay.

The location to which it installs will not be easily known to you, but once you remove it from the CABS, then delete it from the Device Manager slot, it should have to way to replicate itself again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back