Dish and T-Mobile reportedly considering a merger

Scorpus

Staff member

dish t-mobile merger wsj

According to The Wall Street Journal, Dish Network and T-Mobile US are currently considering a merger of the two companies. Discussions of the merger are currently at the "formative stage", although executives from both companies reportedly agree with the plan's big picture.

While a purchase price hasn't been settled on at this stage, if the merger were to go through, T-Mobile CEO John Legere would remain CEO of the new merged company, while Dish CEO Charlie Ergen would become chairman.

T-Mobile is currently the fourth-largest wireless network in the United States with over 55 million subscribers, although strong growth from Legere's "Uncarrier" strategy should see the company overtake Sprint sometime this year. Several companies have attempted to buy out T-Mobile over the years, including AT&T in 2011 for $39 billion in a deal that ultimately failed.

Dish Network is currently the second-largest satellite TV operator in the United States, behind DirecTV, with around 13.8 million subscribers. In recent years the company has acquired significant amounts of wireless spectrum, although this spectrum has essentially gone unused as Dish currently doesn't operate a mobile network.

If Dish and T-Mobile were to merge, T-Mobile could use Dish's wireless spectrum to strengthen their position as a wireless carrier, while both companies could continue to operate their separate services. It's not clear when or if the merger will be approved, but you can add Dish to the growing list of companies interested in partnering with T-Mobile.

Permalink to story.

Hmmm, if they did this right it could be competition for my entrenched cable ISP. I would definitelly consider using dish for download while accepting the limitation of cell for upload.

How about you?

Hmmm, if they did this right it could be competition for my entrenched cable ISP. I would definitelly consider using dish for download while accepting the limitation of cell for upload.

How about you?
I don't think it's going to play out like that. You see Dish picked up a whole ton of spectrum at the last spectrum auction but they haven't been doing much with it. If Dish bought T-Mobile who doesn't have as much spectrum as they would like, T-Mobile would then gain access to the mess load of spectrum that Dish has and thus would be put into a better place to go up against the big two wireless carriers.

That would be a good thing for wireless consumers since T-Mobile would have the spectrium that they need for higher speed wireless data putting the big two carriers into a position of having to compete instead of this duopoly that we have now.

Back