Dish Network signs licensing deal with Scripps for upcoming Internet TV service

Shawn Knight

Staff member

dish network food network hgtv scripps online tv streaming television scripps network

Dish Network on Tuesday bolstered the channel lineup of its upcoming Internet TV service courtesy of a multi-year contract renewal with Scripps Networks Interactive. The agreement includes streaming rights for over-the-top (OOT) live content as well as video-on-demand content according to a press release on the matter.

Scripps Networks Interactive likely isn’t a name that you’re familiar with but they’re responsible for a number of popular channels including HGTV, DIY Network, Food Network, Cooking Channel, Travel Channel and Great American Country.

As PCWorld notes, Dish is expected to launch its Internet TV service by the end of the year. The service, aimed at cord cutters, cord nevers and what the company calls cord haters, will launch with an estimated 20 to 30 channels at a price of around $30 per month according to insiders.

At that price, Dish believes it’ll be attractive enough to those that don’t already subscribe to their satellite service without cannibalizing its existing subscriber base.

The announcement comes roughly a week after Sony secured a similar content streaming deal with Viacom to carry around 20 of its channels including BET, CMT, Comedy Central, MTV, MTV2, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., Nicktoons, Spike, TV Land, VH1, BET Gospel, Centric, Logo, CMT Pure Country, MTV Hits, MTV Jams, mtvU, Palladia, TeenNick, Vh1 Classic and Vh1 Soul – all in HD.

The television industry has been clinging to its lucrative, yet dated broadcast model for years but with deals like these and others no doubt in the works, it’s only a matter of time before everything moves to the Internet. 

Permalink to story.

Being a former Dish Network customer, or "cord hater" by their terms, all I have to say to Dish Network is a purposely very loud NOT INTERESTED!

I have four OTA tuners now which takes care of my live needs, Hulu + paid for by Bing points, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and show subscription that costs about $4.00 per month. My total bill, minus internet, is $16.00 / mo. Why on earth would I bother to resubscribe at $30/mo for a bunch of junk I could care less about. What they are offering is still junk I could care less about and no sign of ala-carte that might actually give me channels I am interested in.

Last night on PBS' series Marketplace, I heard an interview with the Showtime CEO. He made a statement that I found interesting which was "As long as any one has two or three shows that they watch regularly, then I think they will maintain their subscription." I thought WTF? Is this guy completely out of touch with reality or what?

To his model, since I do have more than three shows I am interested in, I should have continued to spend $87 / mo just to see those shows the moment they air? I found myself thinking this guy is crazy!! My take is that all the shows that I watch are eventually on some service I already have within a reasonable period of time after they first air, so I'll wait.

In my opinion, the industry is addicted to this buy a bunch of junk from us and pay us your arms, legs, and all your children model, and they will soon learn that there is a growing number of people out there who refuse to buy from these "drug dealers."

They remind me of the CEO in the news about a year ago that fired all kinds of employees in a cost cutting measure, then redecorated his office to the tune of a million dollars US. Clearly, from my standpoint, these people are so far out of touch with reality that they must have just landed on Earth from some distant planet.

PS - I cannot wait to tell my wife about this, it will be her humor for the day! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back