TechSpot

Disk Boot Error, Please Insert System Disk and Press Enter

By Brooks2
Nov 22, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I recently swapped out my Maxtor 80GB Master and 60GB Slave harddrive for a Western Digital 250GB harddrive. When I boot I get the Disk Boot Error. My boot order is CD-ROM -> HDD 0 -> HDD 1. I have a CD-ROM/RW and DVD-ROM/RW and they are cabled and mastered/slaved properly.

I'm trying to install Windows XP on this new HDD, but I can't get to anything in windows, such as partioning, etc. I believe it is a hardware issue but I'm not sure.

I tried resetting the battery on my Mobo, switching in and out different peripherals but nothing is working.

I know the CD-ROM and DVD-ROM are working as the CD is still spinning when I open them.

I took out the slave drive just so I can see if I can get by all this to install windows to the big drive and just add the other one later, but I'm still having the problem.

The only problems I can see happening are:

1.) Bad cables
    2.) Bad Mobo
    3.) Bad CDROM
    4.) Bad Disk

Any help would be much appreciated.
  2. Brooks2

Brooks2 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Help me, please!
  3. Brooks2

Anyone have any help?
  4. Stick'o ram

Stick'o ram TS Rookie Posts: 233

I'm confused, what hard drives do you have in your computer right now?
  5. Brooks2

Right now, as of 15 minutes ago, I just have the Western Digital 250gb HDD. It is set as my Primary Master, with no slave right now. Still doesn't work though.
  6. Stick'o ram

hmmm... I don't think its a hard drive problem. Have you tried to install windows from both your cd-rom and dvd drive.
  7. Brooks2

yep, and I know the jumpers were set right
  8. Stick'o ram

Just out wondering, can you get into windows set-up with your old hard drives installed (w/ out your new one).
  9. Brooks2

no it says some file is corrupt, it happened after i reformatted and i couldn't get through the windows cd initializing the install
  10. Stick'o ram

So it sounds like your XP install CD is toast.
  11. Brooks2

I have multiple cds and none work in any drive, but they work in different computers. Also, is there any way to repair or reinstall BIOS without a floppy?

12. Stick'o ram

I'm out of ideas, double check your bios are set up correctly (boot order, make sure it sees your cd-rom) and you can also try setting your new hard drive to slave, without any other drives being in their, I know it sounds retarted but it has worked for me in the past.
  13. Brooks2

in the boot order it just has a bunch of presets, but bios recognizes any drive i throw in there, whether it be a cd-rom, dvd-rom or any hdd (also notices the size of them). i tried setting it to slave but the same things happen.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.