Disk Boot Error, Please Insert System Disk and Press Enter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooks2

I recently swapped out my Maxtor 80GB Master and 60GB Slave harddrive for a Western Digital 250GB harddrive. When I boot I get the Disk Boot Error. My boot order is CD-ROM -> HDD 0 -> HDD 1. I have a CD-ROM/RW and DVD-ROM/RW and they are cabled and mastered/slaved properly.

I'm trying to install Windows XP on this new HDD, but I can't get to anything in windows, such as partioning, etc. I believe it is a hardware issue but I'm not sure.

I tried resetting the battery on my Mobo, switching in and out different peripherals but nothing is working.

I know the CD-ROM and DVD-ROM are working as the CD is still spinning when I open them.

I took out the slave drive just so I can see if I can get by all this to install windows to the big drive and just add the other one later, but I'm still having the problem.

The only problems I can see happening are:

1.) Bad cables
2.) Bad Mobo
3.) Bad CDROM
4.) Bad Disk

Any help would be much appreciated.

Right now, as of 15 minutes ago, I just have the Western Digital 250gb HDD. It is set as my Primary Master, with no slave right now. Still doesn't work though.

hmmm... I don't think its a hard drive problem. Have you tried to install windows from both your cd-rom and dvd drive.

no it says some file is corrupt, it happened after i reformatted and i couldn't get through the windows cd initializing the install

I have multiple cds and none work in any drive, but they work in different computers. Also, is there any way to repair or reinstall BIOS without a floppy?

I'm out of ideas, double check your bios are set up correctly (boot order, make sure it sees your cd-rom) and you can also try setting your new hard drive to slave, without any other drives being in their, I know it sounds retarted but it has worked for me in the past.

in the boot order it just has a bunch of presets, but bios recognizes any drive i throw in there, whether it be a cd-rom, dvd-rom or any hdd (also notices the size of them). i tried setting it to slave but the same things happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back