Disk Boot Failure after virus/format

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings!

I am new to this board but I did not know where else to turn for information on my problem.

Currently I am have the disk boot failure insert system disk problem. Basically, the scenario is as follows:

Boyfriend downloads a file on my computer while I am at work. He doesn't really have any cares about system security and whatnot so he opens it carelessly. It ends up giving my computer a virus/spyware that causes severe pop-ups of both spyware and windows system files.

I tell him that I'll look at it when I get home the next day, but alas, he decides he needs to try to fix it. He doesn't have too much knowledge in computer repair and so he just decides to use Window's restore to a previous date feature (all of dates had been erased except for the time that he opened the virus which was the day before). He does this and after a reboot that's when he gets the disk boot failure message. And so he gives up. (Thanks alot)

I try my luck at it, thinking to just format the hard drive but when it comes to installing windows, it says something like hard disk not found, run a diagnostics test. Well I am not really that knowledgable about that kind of thing so the next thing I think to do is remove my hard drive and place it into one of my old computers to see if I could format it. I formated it and it worked on my old computer, however, when I put it in my new computer, it says the exact same thing. This allowed me to reason that it probably isn't my hard drive that is causing the problem.

My brother has been looking at it as well, since he knows quite a bit about computers. He looked at the BIOS and said it looked ok to him..

That was the only other thing that I could think of that would be the problem.

So as of right now, I am not sure what I am supposed to do. He said he would talk to his instructor about it tomorrow but I am just wandering if anyone here has ideas.

I'm not sure of the computer's hardware since it was just a working hand-me-down from my brother that I dove right into...I do know the following though:

Western Digital 80gb 7200rpm SATA-3.0gb/s (master)
Western Digital 160gb " "
Not sure what the CD-ROM is, just a DVD-R
Motherboard is an ASUS, my brother can't remember due to how old the computer is (3 years+)
Any other information I can provide eventually when he feels like finding the information for me. -_-

I have not had any problems with it before the download incident.

Any information is MUCH appreciated. Sorry I can't be more specific as to the cause and components. They are the two things I don't have more information on. Thanks~

Hi Kyuumichi and welcome to TechSpot

So it's seen in Bios OK
The boot setting are HDD somewhere in the list

Remove all the plugged in devices at rear of computer (except power and video) does it boot ? (this is just testing)

Have you tried reseating (and or replacing) the HDD data cable on M/b

Actually also try reseating Ram (blow out all dust too)

Remove all PCI addon cards

Only other option is powersupply

Back to Square One.......

Some BIOS will set themselves automatically to SATA mode when they detect 2 (or more) SATA HDDs attached. That will give you a boot error. Install 1 HDD only, (the system drive), but at first try, boot to the BIOS and look around for a setting such as "configure SATA as IDE". That is the setting to run SATA drives without a RAID driver or controller installed. Make that setting, then try again.
Sometimes the MBR (master boot record) may be damaged. This is usually not touched by formatting. In this case you may need to find a "drive scrubbing", run that on the drive, and start from scratch.

Some claim that a virus can reside in the MBR and give problems from there.

I did/tried all of that but nothing helped...

I'm not sure about the power supply either. It's had plenty of abuse I guess.

So frustrating...~ -_-

Format worked on old computer
And HardDrive not working on original
Removed all unnecessary devices - but nothing

Can you plug any old harddrive in there and test - it should be the same result

This is now comming down to swapping components
Or bench testing - Motherboard out of case

Is this possible there ?
ie Bench test
and also swapping parts

Ok not hard drive ! (that's clear)

The bench testing is because
there may be something unknown
something loose
something touching electrically which shouldn't be
better inspection under the board
you are eliminating everything (connectors)

And that's what techs do, at this stage !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back