Disk Boot Failure, Insert system Disk and press enter nothing seems to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I built a PC a month ago and everything seemed find no problems of any sort. The other night I defragmented my hard drive and shut it down and turned it on today to a memory test and the message "Disk Boot Failure, Insert system Disk and press enter"

The computer has access to the XP pro w/ sp2 disk only as a boot device but it will not recognize it now.

I have set Cd-rom as 1st for boot sequence then hard drive I have no floppy drive and the bios has been configured to know that.

I am not sure if this means anything but in the bios the IDE Channel 0 Master says none and when I try to turn on auto detection it wont detect a hard drive.

The HDD is fully connected and has not been touched since I installed it a month ago.

I have this awful feeling that I fried the HDD when I defragmented it last night.

Any help would be very much appreciated. But please be simple this is my first build and my knowledge at this sort of thing is very very sketchy at best.

I have installed a new hard drive and used three different sata cables none of that worked. I have even taken out the battery and that did not work. I am about to give up and scape the whole thing.

remove from channel 0 put in channel 1
go back to bios
look for boot options see if you have sata drive there boot first from this
the sata connectors don't seat as well as the older ide do a good kick can unplug even some vibrations will disconnect
I'm think'n the bios is bad update or reflash what ever the case
if still no communication bad chipset on board

if sata ,just move sata cable to channel 1
if ide best to connect to last connector on ide cable and jumper the drive to master
what do you mean original hdd no mention of a another drive???
I have done lots of formatting one type or another this has never burned out a drive
could be drive was failing if under warranty and you really think its bad send it back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back