Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I turn on my PC I get the following error message:
"Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter"
I have a Maxtor 4d080h4 hard drive.
When I tried to run my Windows XP setup CD I'd get the following error message:
"Setup cannot access this disk"

Yesterday I browsed the web for this error message and it was recommended to download Active KillDisk and format the drive, so I did so. The hard drive was recognized and it started the formatting process. It got stuck at 96%, and now my hard drive is making clicking noises.

Now when I turn on my computer I still get the error, "Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter." Now when I run my Windows XP setup CD I get the blue screen error, "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer."

I downloaded the Maxtor PowerMax utility. I cannot perform any diagnostics because it tells me that "No device was found."

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Buy a new drive or return it under warranty. The drive is a lost cause... it's trashed.

"now my hard drive is making clicking noises."

That's the head clicking as it seeks back and forth, which is commonly referred to as the "Click of Death". Basically, that is the drive attempting to read over and over, but being unable to. There is no way to repair it. Freezing it in a ziploc bag might get you 20 minutes or so, but since you formatted it, I'm assuming there is no data to recover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back