Disk boot failure while trying to boot from CD drive w/ XP

By omg
Dec 11, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey. I have just built my first computer from scratch and everything seems to be in working order except when i turn it on i get the Disk boot failure msg. I have a Western Digital caviar SE 16. It uses S-ATA connectors. Never built a computer using them before. currently i have it plugged into port 1 on the S-ATA II connectors on my motherboard and have the jumpers set in 1 and 2. I have BIOS set to check CD then Hard Drive in that order. So i start my comp with XP Home with SP 2 in the CD drive and i get the Disk boot failure. I have never formatted the hardrive so i dont know if that could be part of the problem and the CD drive doesn't show up in BIOS and i have it plugged into the IDE port 3.

If ne1 could shed sum light on the subject that would b sweet thx.
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,067   +13

did you load your sata drivers? Some motherboards don't automatically detect SATA.
  3. omg

omg Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I dont think thats the problem because its showing the Hard Drive in BIOS, but how would you go about installing them?
  4. Doctor Snuggles

Doctor Snuggles Newcomer, in training

Install your cd drive to ide 1 as master, select boot order as cdrom then scsi
    Boot with windows cd and press F6 when prompted to install sata drivers, u will need drivers on a floppy or another cd.
    Hope this helps :)
  5. omg

my cd drive didnt come w/ a book or nething so im not shure what pin config is master. currently im guessing pins 1 and 2 (all the way to the right) and i'll try it with IDE 1
  6. omg

YUP! tried CD drive in IDE 1 and it booted from XP CD on start up LOVE U MAN!
  7. Doctor Snuggles

Doctor Snuggles Newcomer, in training

Pleased I could help! :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.