Disk Boot Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I built a computer for my dad a month or so ago and it has had nothing but problems. We put Windowx XP Media Center Edition 2005 on there because he had heard it was the way to go (I thought Professional would be fine, it's what I'm running all nice and dandy). I didn't really build the computer... it was my old computer but with new harddrives and thus the new OS.

Up until today, he has often had times where the computer goes through start up, the Windows load bar does its thing, and then instead of showing the desktop and playing the "you're computer loaded XP" happy music, the monitor would instead blank out and the computer would do nothing. He'd restart and the computer would say the whole "Your computer failed to start up properly" and he'd just choose start XP normally, and anywhere from first try to 2nd or 3rd try, it would load as it should. Now, today, he was checking outlook, and the whole computer froze. He had to hard restart it and it said the "Disk Boot Failure" message. So, I went to town. I did fixboot, chkdsk /r, and finally a full on OS repair (the one that looks like it is installing for the first time). After all that, he still needs to have a bootable disk in there to start up the OS. If there's no disk, it gives the disk boot failure message.

I talked to a Geek Squad guy (I used to work at Best Buy, so I got free info, woo), and he said Media Center Edition just sucks, and I may just have to do a clean install of Professional or Home, if all the other things I did didn't work (which they didn't). Any other ideas, or should I just buy the new OS?

XP Pro can do anything Media Center does with a few modifications... The new hard drive(s) may be failing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back