TechSpot

disk cleanup problem

By chunk2gs
Nov 15, 2005
  1. am going crazy over here.i have windows xp.you know how you can go into control panel -performance maintenace ) to access your disk cleanup and disk defragmenter, well it was working fine,i used it almost evertime i used my computer,any way yesterday i tried to do it same route i always used but this time disk cleanup or disk defragmenter was'nt there.i know you can also access them by going though start - all programs - accessories. now i did that disk defragmenter works but disk cleanup would pop up but nothing is in the box (files to delete). I don't know what i did but please tell me you can help
    thanks

2. spartanslayer

spartanslayer TS Rookie Posts: 394

Try using system restore and restoring to a day before that happened.

3. SOcRatEs

SOcRatEs TechSpot Paladin Posts: 966

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot!

Xp home or pro?
    You can go into:start/control panel/administrative tools/computer management/disk management- to get to the tools you are looking for.
    I use diskeeper for defrag rather than MS native defrag, it does a much
    better job.
    You can get a trial copy HERE
    you'd never have to look for it again :D

G'Luck

4. chunk2gs

chunk2gs TS Rookie Topic Starter

i tried to system restore but it won't let me restore to any date it would go though the prosess and when it rebot's a mesage come's up can not restore to this date nothing has been changed so i went back further and further same problem

5. spartanslayer

spartanslayer TS Rookie Posts: 394

You must have a system restore problem. I'm sorry. You'll have to find a different way to fix it.

6. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

I've never heard of this issue before. But try this..

Click Start and then Run. Type in cleanmgr /sageset:0 and press Enter.

Does a box pop up with options? If so, check what you want to scan for and type cleanmgr /sagerun:0.

sageset creates a profile for Disk Cleanup to run and it assigns it the number after n:. sagerun runs that profile in an automated fashion. I'm hoping this will either knock some sense into cleanmgr.exe or give you a temporary solution until cleanmgr.exe works again.

I might also suggest installing SP2 if you haven't already, or uninstalling it (if possible) and reinstalling it once again.

7. chunk2gs

chunk2gs TS Rookie Topic Starter

ok i try it the disk cleanup scanning box come up so i'm thinking thank you but i noticed that after a while no bars was loading. so i waited about ten minites and it just disapeared so i tryed it again same problem.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.