Disk defragmenter consumes time

By rliu
Mar 27, 2005
  1. I was wondering how long it takes everyone else to defragment their drives? With my 75 GB one it takes in excess of six or seven hours, is that normal?
  2. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,343   +6

What operating system are you using. If you are using anything before XP, it might be restarting everytime some program opens, even something in the background. If you are using XP and you haven't done it in a long time, it might take a while, but nowhere near that long. You might try downloading a trial version of Diskeeper or PerfectDisk and see how that goes.
  3. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

I would suggest Diskeeper over the default Windows defrag anyday. It is more thorough, as well as faster.
  4. rliu

rliu TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 55

I am using Diskeeper and it still takes over six hours to do only 30%, I have XP and in the analysis it says disk fragmentation was fairly low, so I see no reason why it should take so long.
  5. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

In Change Your Settings, modify the Defragmentation Priority to Highest, and do defrag manually.

If you have another HD with enough space, copy everything over, wipe the original disk and copy back.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.