TechSpot

disk management in XP Pro SP2

By January
Oct 29, 2007
  1. I have a hd with 4 NTFS partitions. I want to reconfigure the hd to 2 NTFS. I would like to avoid asking MS for permission to use XP Setup. They have always given it to me, and as a last resort I can do that again. But I have seen several hints that Disk Management can do what I want.

I already have my data backed up and also sorted onto two drives. I do not know how to span those two drives so that each one merges with one of the now empty partitions.

In Disk Management, I cannot get past the option just to either create new Empty Space or a New Volume with the now empty partitions. No indication of spanning???

MS Knowledgebase and email consulting tells me to use Fdisk. Am I wrong? Fdisk doesn't exist in NT only in DOS based 95 & 98 systems? MS has those 95/98 instructions linked to their XP instructions but I can't figure it.

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

The disks must be made dynamic if my memory serves in order to span.

3. January

January TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks Rik. I am now satisfied with the answer.

I finally made it to the info about dynamic disks and dynamic volumes. Yes, a dynamic volume can be extended to include empty dynamic spaces. However, the price paid for that is some incompatibilities with *standard* drives/volumes.

I need to keep it simple, so I shall go ask mama ms to let me please do what I long ago paid for--use the capacities of the software they sold me.

4. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 4,985

Lol ok, any more problems, just post 'em.:)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.