disk space changes automatically on XP !

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpion_1112

Three days back my C drive showed 320 MB of free space (i had disabeled the network) but now its showsing only 178 MB is left free, hense im facing a situation of low disk space....

Whats happening?

It has happened before also and got sorted out by itself when i actually overloaded that drive! Anyhow, i feel there is something terribly wrong with XP space accounting or am i facing a virus problem? :confused:

It could be swap file usage, temp file usage, recycle bin use or the feature in XP that allows you to revert back to an older configuration (can't recall right now what it's called).

Edit: It's called System Restore. It's under System Properties.

scorpion_1112 said:
Three days back my C drive showed 320 MB of free space (i had disabeled the network) but now its showsing only 178 MB is left free, hense im facing a situation of low disk space....

Whats happening?

It has happened before also and got sorted out by itself when i actually overloaded that drive! Anyhow, i feel there is something terribly wrong with XP space accounting or am i facing a virus problem? :confused:

You have 320mb of space, ...... just how big is your HD, as the poster said it could be your swap file or your temp file, either way I would consider deleting some of the unwanted stuff from off your drive, or buy a bigger HD.

Thanks guys for reminding me of the sys restore settings and recycle bin. I had adjusted the sawp file but forgot the other two.

Guess what, i just freed 700 MB on my HD. By the way, i have a 20 GB HD with four partitions of 5 GB each in FAT32 format. I try to keep C drive as light and well arranged as possible.

K just one more thing, why did so much space go into reserve? I mean exactly which action lead to space rervation? (Go into restore and bin and all..)

You can adjust the amount of space reserved for system restore and the recycle bin.For restore go to control panel/system,for the bin,right click on it,and select properties.Restore needs at least 200MB.Windows defrag also needs at least 15% free space to complete it`s job.
What I`m trying to say,is that you need MORE space,man.

JMMD said:
It could be swap file usage, temp file usage, recycle bin use or the feature in XP that allows you to revert back to an older configuration (can't recall right now what it's called).

Edit: It's called System Restore. It's under System Properties.

Not to forget Temporary Internet files, whose space can also be controlled via Internet Options / settings / amount of disk space to use.

This one is proably the one causing the most trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back