Display Adapter (realised it is not a hardware issue & I am going NUTS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Y'all,

I posted a thread in the Hardware forum earlier and realised later that it is really a Windows problem so here goes.

I (quite stupidly) disabled the display adapter on my Win XP SP2 machine because the display adapter did not appear on my device manager list.

Since then when I boot up I get the Mobo splash, I can access bios, I get the Windows splash and then I get a blank black screen.

I know that everything else is running ok cos the sound still works and when I hit the keyboard with my forehead I get the error sound.

Safe mode is not working for some reason.

Can someone please help me to enable my display adapter again without being able to see what I am doing on screen? I 've been trying to sort this out for about 10 hours!

Thanks

dedlam

Safe Mode boot is the way to get to the correction... you have to figger out why that is not working.
Let us know how it worked out. I can see it would be difficult to fix if you cannot see the screen.
You might try booting to a Windows Xp disc in R or Repair mode... or put a different hard drive in, then install Windows to it so you can access your BIOS and utilities.

Do you have onboard video or a standalone card? If you have both, then it might be trying to boot with the onboard video enabled if you disabled the standalone adapter. If you have only onboard or only a video card, try buying a cheap $30 video card like the GeForce MX440 and then seeing if the PC boots with that.

Thanks raybay and rage_rk_moiz for your comments.

my PC has only a video card and I have tried switching cards with another PC but to no avail.

I currently have a friend of mine looking at it so if he can work it out I will post how he made it work.

I think the safe mode thing is a result of me messing around too much with different OS's. this PC has had xp, ubuntu, pclos and win2000 on it at one stage or another. I think it is time for a spring clean...which I will do if I ever get to see my desktop again.

Cheers

dedlam

PS Update. My friend is an IT techie. His solution is reinstall XP :( sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back