Display appearance error !?

Status
Not open for further replies.

resu

Hi.
I am having a problem with my computer at the moment and although it really doesnt affect the daily use of it i would still like it fixed as it is very annoying to know that my pc could be working better (i'm sure others feel that same about low priority errors etc etc)
anyway here is my problem:
when i open Display properties and click on the appearance tab i get the following error:

(title of window): [Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library]
Runtime Error!
Program: C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe
Abnormal program termination
[ok]

and then Display properties closes down
The only thing that i can think of that could of caused this would be a program called windowsblinds, it basically allows you to create and download skins for XP. I have since then disabled windowsblinds etc and returned my desktop to normal but the problem persists!!

Is there a place where i can get a freash copy of rundll32.exe?
Could I use my XP CD to repair the problem?
or is there an easier option?

so could anyone please help me!!
Thanks for you time.. hopefully someone will be able to help me.

My PC specs:
AMD athlon 3200 XP
1GB RAM
160gb HDD (2x80gb IDE)
GeForce 5200 256mb (soon to be upgraded)

thx for the quick response :D i'll give it a try and hope it works

Um i just read the link you gave me about how to repair windows and i dont really like the sound of having to download all my drivers again etc etc so i think that i'll hang back from doing that for a while and hope that someone has got an easier way of solving the problem.
but thx anyway

Running Windows XP repair does not mean you have to reinstall all your drivers again.

Running a Windows XP repair - will repair the WINDOWS files. It checks the operating system files on your machine against the same file on the CD - if it thinks it's damaged it will ask you if you would like to repair it.

Run the Repair - have no fear.

alright then ill give it a try :)
but which disc is best to use? XP or the service pack disc?

Once you`ve finished the repair, you will need to run the windows updates again, as doing a repair, will reset your Windows OS to whatever version is on the XP disk.

Regards Howard :)

it worked but it took ages ... basically just reinstalled windows i had the register again etc etc..... im gonna probably shift all my crap on to one drive and eventually format the other and do a fresh install and put windows in a seperate partition to make boot times faster etc etc but that'll wait untill i next get a problem which needs a xp repair :D
thx for all your help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back