Display blinking intermittently

Status
Not open for further replies.

matchu

Hi again everyone! Long time no post. But here I am.

Right now, I'm using my laptop (Dell Inspiron 6400) in dual monitor setup. My monitor is the I-Inc iS220 (22inches) and is connected to my laptop via VGA. The display card is the mobility radeon x1400.

When I connect my monitor to the laptop and use dual display (extended desktop) I find that every once in a while, the screen blinks very briefly. This mostly happens on the 22" display, but sometimes happens on my laptop as well. If i disable my laptop display (manually, or by closing the lid) the blinking doesn't seem to happen. The blinking doesn't happen if I'm using only my laptop.

I'm just wondering if anyone has come across this before and if there's something I can do to fix it?

Dell Inspiron 6400 and ATI mobility radeon x1400 - Display blinking intermittently

Hi matchu,

I have the same configuration as you : a Dell Inspiron 6400 and ATI mobility radeon x1400.
When I connect an external monitor (a Dell 20" widescreen) to the VGA port, and activate extended desktop, I have the exact same symptoms as you : intermittently, the screen blinks very briefly on the external monitor or on the laptop screen. The problem does not appear when I use the laptop without an external monitor.

I have not found a solution so far.

Hi, everyone,

I managed to solve this problem. It requires a bit of a driver update. Sort of.

The ATI drivers seem to be incompatible with Mobility video cards on Dell systems. You need to find a workaround to upgrade the drivers. One solution, if you're willing to use third party drivers, is the Omega Radeon Drivers. There are other workarounds as well, but you can pick and choose.

I no longer have any screen-flickering issues with those drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back