Display on monitor distorted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Two days ago my monitor was working perfectly fine, but eversince yesterday the screen is set up in a really strange way. During the boot process and in windows, the screen is completely stretched horizontally, and when I use the menu on the monitor to try and make it smaller it does not change a thing. Also, I have to use the horizontal alignment option in the menu on the monitor in order to see my Start menu. When I can see the Start menu, along the side of the screen, it indents and for the life of me I cannot get it to be a straight edge.
I have not installed anything recently or changed any settings in my computer.
What do you think might be causing this problem? Should I try uninstalling the plug & play and then reinstalling it?
Thanks for any input!

jmfekete said:
Hi,
Two days ago my monitor was working perfectly fine, but eversince yesterday the screen is set up in a really strange way. During the boot process and in windows, the screen is completely stretched horizontally, and when I use the menu on the monitor to try and make it smaller it does not change a thing. Also, I have to use the horizontal alignment option in the menu on the monitor in order to see my Start menu. When I can see the Start menu, along the side of the screen, it indents and for the life of me I cannot get it to be a straight edge.
I have not installed anything recently or changed any settings in my computer.
What do you think might be causing this problem? Should I try uninstalling the plug & play and then reinstalling it?
Thanks for any input!
Unless you know how to repair a monitor, go ahead and get a new one. The FET controlling your horizontal deflection is badly damaged or completely dead.

Alternately, you could send it off somewhere for repair, however I myself wouldn't trust the repair guys unless I'd known of them personally. Most of them were ignorant tree stumps pretending to be monitor repair guys.

By the way you described the problem, I assume you have a CRT monitor and not a TFT display. In the "control panel" under "settings" then "display" make sure your monitor is set for 85Hz or higher, standard is 85Hz at 1024x768. If your monitor requires drivers then install them.

Hi nein, there are a few things that you can try, before giving up on the monitor. First, how old is the monitor? Are you using a video card (what type and model), or onboard video? Have you tried the monitor on another computer? Can you give us more details about your system?

just_a_nobody said:
Hi nein, there are a few things that you can try, before giving up on the monitor. First, how old is the monitor? Are you using a video card (what type and model), or onboard video? Have you tried the monitor on another computer? Can you give us more details about your system?
Please learn to read properly before answering.

will try...

Hi everyone,
thanks for all your input. I'll try using a different monitor tonight and if that doesn't work, then is it safe to assume that it's probably my video card?

I appreciate everything!

jmfekete said:
Hi everyone,
thanks for all your input. I'll try using a different monitor tonight and if that doesn't work, then is it safe to assume that it's probably my video card?

I appreciate everything!
There is not a single video card in the whole wide world which can do as the described quote below, functional or not functional...

"the screen is completely stretched horizontally, and when I use the menu on the monitor to try and make it smaller it does not change a thing. Also, I have to use the horizontal alignment option in the menu on the monitor in order to see my Start menu. When I can see the Start menu, along the side of the screen, it indents and for the life of me I cannot get it to be a straight edge."

Some vid cards do have horiz/vert sizing adjustments, very extremely rare that they do adjust the size for more than 10%, most of them under 5%. None of them could adjust for edging linearity nor having any kind of built-in control for it.

Monitor failures do include edge linearity of lo-order and hi-order distortions as in this example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back