Distance from subwoofer to case

Status
Not open for further replies.

NV30

Hi,

Swapped my Dad's speakers (ADA880) for my $40 Altec speakers. :D They sound amazing, but I'm a little concerned about the distance from the subwoofer to my case. How far should it be so that it doesn't cause damage?

Since subwoofers aren't magnetically shielded, I'd say a couple feet should be good. Just don't have it butting up against it. Magnetic fields can cause damage, as I read here somewhere.

I have it about 8 inches away, not possible to have it any further away due to space and speaker cable length. Is this permissible? Or can I shield the woofer somehow?

I'd be concerned with that distance, I'd like to see it a bit farther.

According to Young&Wild though here :
... use a nickel-iron alloy to warp the center channel.? They can shield magnetic fields efficiently.

Can it affect my case at all? Monitor is a good 3+ feet away, have had no problems with my monitor.

At 8 inches away, i'd also be worried about vibration.. Those low frequiencies will make your case vibrate if you ask me

Hard drives - you may get write errors (is that what their called) or read errors

CD Drives - I wouldn't burn a CD with that sub pumping out...

Plus it might eventually make your expansion cards etc work loose out of their sockets...

Unless of course you have it turned on really low (but then whats the point of a sub if you cant pump it up high)...

Originally posted by NV30
Can I possible buy extension cables?

I would of thought so. Depends on whats on the end of the wires. It isnt some welded plug or anything is it?? I know Sony sometimes use something like that and its a bu**er to extend and replace the connectors...If its like normal speaker wire, then just buy a longer length from any good hi-fi shop, just don't get bell-wire (thin crap)...

Afterwards you could place the sub virtually anywhere in the room and it'll sound the same, low frequencies aren't (errm) directional (??) unlike high frequencies...

Well, I checked the vibrations. The woofer does vibrate a lot but it's on stands, so the floor doesn't get ANY vibration, and my case doesn't either. Don't know if they can go through the air, can't feel any, but you can really feel the vibration when you touch it.

My Hercules XP510 5.1 subwoofer sits an inch to the right of my 19 in monitor without any problems - I'd be very surprised if most computer specific speakers and subwoofers are'nt shielded as logically, these will occupy the area around the monitor, if it is too close you'll see 'staining' on the edges of the monitor, gradually move your speaker away until the staining ceases to bother the monitor.

If its shielded then I wouldn't worry about how close it is to anything aside from vibration. I guess I didnt' read that they were computer speakers/sub - I would imagine that computer ones would be shielded.

Originally posted by RustyZip
Afterwards you could place the sub virtually anywhere in the room and it'll sound the same, low frequencies aren't (errm) directional (??) unlike high frequencies...

Subs do get great reverb effects if you place them near to walls, however. Having a sub away from a wall produces more 'natural' bass - which is what I would want.

Anyway, you should check the documentation to see if it is magnetically shielded. If it is you shouldn't have a problem which it is most likely...

I have my 641 sub and casing placed on the floor beneath the table. They are placed more than 2 feet apart. I don't think there is much to worry about the vibration NV30....unless you place your sub like around 2 feet or less(ttoo close aint good for the hard drives) .... plus there is some rubber pad below your sub, that should help to slow down the vibration from reaching your case and before it even reaches the case, vibration will be minimum. IMO If you are too worried get rubber pads for your casing.

Rusty, till this date what i know is that there are two types of subwoofer, directional and no-directional...i can't explain in detail because im too good at this point but i can advise in how to place them.

Non-directional sub - Such a sub do not need to be postioned in any particular relation to the satellites, but in order for the sub to produce maximum bass effieciency, it would be better to place the sub close to the wall or the corner of your room.

Directional sub - a correct placement in particular relation to the satellites must be taken note to achieve maximum bass efficient, ie. by placing the sub 90 degrees to the two front satellites.

Originally posted by young&wild
unless you place your sub like around 2 feet or less(ttoo close aint good for the hard drives)

Thats just it - NV30's is only 8 inches away from the case !!!

Well NV30 - the bottom line is you should try to get that subwoofer away from your case. 8 inches is too close, and the case will most likely rattle with all the bass the sub is pumping out. If I play a song even at medium volume, I can really feel the beat in the air. As you will, most likely, along with your tower. The deciding factor is probably if your sub is magnetically shielded. Hard drives write the data to the platters with magnetism - and magnetic fields can sure affect that.

I see. I've never noticed my case vibrating. I'll give it a try to seperate them, but does anyone know if you can extend cables that have the ends molded into the speakers?

If I were in your shoes I would just chop the cable right in half and extend it with regular speaker wire. But that's just me and I'm naive and take risks that I don't really have to.

You could squeeze a little extra length out of the cable by removing any obstructions - like tucking the wire under your monitor. Remember, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

Hmm, don't think I'll chop the cables apart. Little too risky. :) I'll try moving my furniture and repositioning it, that shouldn't be too terribly difficult.

Hehehe I didn't expect you to either.

Try moving your case? You could just keep all the speakers how they are now, if you like it. Try moving the comp onto your desk, if it's below, and vice versa.

Yeah, that's an idea, but I don't have room for it on my desk, the cabinets aren't shaped correctly. :(

Well, moved stuff around a little and have one speaker behind me now and one in front. Woofer is now 3-4 feet from the monitor and the case. Sounds really good, except the speakers are on the right side so I get very little sound from the left but oh well.

All's well. :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back