Ditching the feature phone for good: Smartphones now 87% of US handset shipments

By Julio Franco
May 22, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. According to research data from Counterpoint's Market Monitor, Q1 2014 was the biggest quarter for smartphones in the US market reaching 33 million units (shipped, not sold) which represent a staggering 87% of the total handset shipments during that period. 

Read more
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,656   +507

Potato, tomato,... smart phone and,...oh wait a second,...is that what we used to call it? :)

Who wants a dumb phone? ;)
  3. penn919

penn919 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 152   +12

There's no reason to get a feature phone anymore. Smartphones now retail for as low as $40 now and even those have decent functionality for the price.
  4. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 879   +84

aside from the fact that they rape you with data plans and you are required to buy one with most new phones.
  5. supertech

supertech TechSpot Member Posts: 81   +9

A lot of seniors are scared of smartphones and this comes from the fear of technology altogether. They don't care about text or anything else except using the call features of the phone.
  6. How do you know what seniors want and what scares them? I'm 75. I have a smart phone and so do all of my senior friends.
  7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,921   +724

Me. I use one as an mp3 player daily
  8. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,253   +459

You have you remember, my generation (children of baby boomers) possess clairvoyance and hints of omniscience. Not only do we know what scares you, we know what will scare people long into in the future. Because studies, or something.

So, let me get this straight, the only reason someone would have no interest in texting and unproductive features (90% of the value of a smartphone, IMO), is out of fear of technology?
  9. supertech

supertech TechSpot Member Posts: 81   +9

Good for you. A part of our clientele are seniors, and we see this first hand. Of course, I'm not saying all.

Absolutely!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.