DiVX codecs

By Goofy Newfie
May 19, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What codecs do I need for Win MP to play avi files? Where can these be found?
  2. StormBringer

StormBringer Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,871

3. Goofy Newfie

Goofy Newfie Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 211

Got 'em! Thanks.
  4. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

Also, don't use WMP to play .avi's, use The Playa to, it comes with the codecs.
    For me, WMP is crap. Usually it doesn't even work, it can't seem to use the codec. I mainly use Creative Playcenter to view the videos I download, mostly track & field stuff.

I'm still looking for a good media player for Winblows. Haven't found one as of yet.
  5. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

I use WinDVD and GDivx instead of mplayer... Works like a charm :)

Though that combo might not work if you're after all the functionality that mplayer has... (You can say many bad things about mplayer, but it does have a lot of features...)
  6. StormBringer

Yea, avi files don't play in WMP very well most of the time, I also have some mpg files that won't play, I get an error when I load them that says "filetype not supported" it doesn't look for a codec or anything. They play fine when I play them in PowerDVD though, I normally use that to play all video files with, it will play most anything.
  7. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,327

Tried Zoom Player out?
  8. Goofy Newfie

Where do I find it?
  9. Vehementi

mplayer is really bad for movies, but fantastic for music. I usually use either that or Winamp. Problem is, Winamp never seems to read my CD's.

I'll chech out Zoom Player, WinDVD and GDivx...Thanks MrG and Tom :)
  10. Goofy Newfie

zoom player

I tried out Zoom Player, but it says it can't create filters for the mpg I tried to play on it? Any reason why that may be?
  11. lokem

lokem Newcomer, in training Posts: 773

I don't find anything wrong with WMP in Windows; although I use mplayer2.exe to run the good old version. Not sure whether the underlying calls are similar to that in the souped up WMP or not.
  12. Vehementi

WMP is horrid :dead:

I get errors all the time, it doesn't ever save media to my library, doesn't read my CD's most of the time...This is one of the reasons I installed Redhat 7.2...I've heard good things about XINE (although only from phantazmm...)
  13. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,199   +229

I am a huge WMP fan - and love playing single video files using WMP 6.4.x - but if I'm playing a playlist of video files I use WMP 8 in WinXP - works great for me as long as the codecs are all fine. Ever since I started using Nimo I've had no problems except needing to install the newest version of DiVX all the time. I think the probs you guys are having may lie with the versions of the codecs you're using and/or it's compatibility issues with WMP. The only complaint I can think of that I have with WMP 8 is how long it takes (sometimes) when I drag a folder with 20+ videos into the playlist window. Sometimes I have to let it sit for up to a minute when I do that. But simply close WMP and reopen and those files are saved to my playlist without worrying about losing them if it does happen to error.

LNCPapa

14. guyferd

guyferd Newcomer, in training Posts: 42

Which one?

WMP is not good and I think divx doesn't run on WMP in WinXP... I use PowerDVD and it works perfect (audio & video).. :D
  15. Vehementi

I don't like PowerDVD mainly because you have to pay for it, and it won't let me start it without paying for it. Grrr.
    And oh yeah I'm too broke to pay for it.
  16. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,267   +217

Re: Which one?

I've seen many XP boxes, including mine, run divx through wmp8 and wmp6.4.
  17. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

Re: Re: Which one?

Yes you are right.

I usually find that, when I reinstall, its best to install Divx version 3 first and then download the lastest release of version 5 and then install that, for all divx encoded files to work.
  18. StormBringer

I recently got Power VCR by Cyberlink(makers of Power DVD). It plays anything, I think it does anyway, I've yet to find anything it won't play and it also lets me watch TV via my Tuner card(I had a post recently about my troubles with that)

I can't remember what it costs but it wasn't much more than Power DVD and it includes Power DVD. It was well worth the cost in my opinion and it isn't made by MS which is a huge plus.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.