DJI launches new quadrocopter with 4K camera for $1260

Scorpus

Staff member

dji ultra hd 4k quadrocopter drone phantom 3

DJI have announced an brand new quadrocopter, the Phantom 3, and it improves upon its predecessors in nearly every way. Best of all, for those drone enthusiasts looking for something capable of decent video capture, their latest model with a 4K camera might be just for you.

The DJI Phantom 3 is more powerful than the Phantom 2, with new motors that can accelerate and decelerate faster than its predecessor, while top speeds remain the same at 16 meters per second. The change in motors also bring about efficiency improvements, as the Phantom 3 carries a smaller 4,480 mAh battery that's capable of the same 23 minutes of flight time as the Phantom 2.

The positioning system has been revamped in the Phantom 3, taking on board the Vision Positioning System from DJI's more expensive drones that helps with flight where GPS positioning isn't available. The app to control the drone has also been updated with an on-screen map, a flight simulator to practice your moves, and easy live-streaming options.

While the Phantom 3 still comes with a stabilized camera that can't be replaced, the camera you actually get will be better than ever. In the Professional model, DJI has equipped the drone with a 12-megapixel camera capable of 4K video capture at up to 30 frames per second.

If you're looking for a drone that's a bit cheaper, the Advanced model keeps the 12-megapixel sensor, but restricts you to 1080p video capture at 60 frames per second.

DJI hasn't announced when the Phantom 3 will go on sale, but the prices for each model are better than expected. The Phantom 3 Professional will set you back $1,259, which is the same price as the Phantom 2 but with a better camera and a revamped positioning system. The Advanced model, largely the same as the Professional model, will cost just $999.

Permalink to story.

$1260 for a toy? Just to take nudie snaps of some chicks sunbathing? I'd rather spend my money on a pair of binoculars and keep the change for bail thanks.

You aren't a rookie and still make a bad impression with posts like this Skid.... so lay off

You aren't a rookie and still make a bad impression with posts like this Skid.... so lay off
Well that depends on your point of view. We all have them remember? And there's nothing wrong with that seeing it's naturally embedded in us but you don't barge into a man's home you don't know from a bar of soap and tell him his taste in furniture sucks then still hope to be invited around for a barbeque this coming weekend would you now?

Just a friendly reminder. Just because someone is a new member doesn't necessarily mean they are new to TechSpot. They could be long time guests or visitors. In any event guests and new members alike should be able to express opinions without being subject to suppression simply because they are new. If their posts violate forum rules, one can report the post and let moderators/admins handle it.

Just a friendly reminder. Just because someone is a new member doesn't necessarily mean they are new to TechSpot. They could be long time guests or visitors. In any event guests and new members alike should be able to express opinions without being subject to suppression simply because they are new. If their posts violate forum rules, one can report the post and let moderators/admins handle it.
You are correct, that much is obvious but it's unnecessary to insult or criticise other peoples posts no matter how inane they may be, it's their opinion and they're entitled to it whether they're serious or just making a silly off handed comment. All it does is cause animosity and we can do without that.

I think this got blown somewhat out of proportion...

Skid you do come off as a slight troll sometimes, although I generally find your comments to be in good humor.

Although I do think you have a point, anyone who's been around techspot for a while would certainly recognize your name...

As for me I'm a guest who's been visiting techspot for around 5 years and have yet to make an account; I seldom comment and have enough accounts to manage as it is...

I like how this "Vision Positioning System" works. A must have on a real drone, I just wonder how it's gonna work. At a flick of a button? Or as an automated function as the drone loses GPS signal?

Back