Dlink router settings

Jskid

I was having trouble with my wireless router, even when connected by a cable. I was getting the message "DNS server not responding".

I played with the settings and it seems to be working now.

What does "Enable WAN Ping Respond" do?
What does "Enable DNS relay" do?
Should avoid arp attack be enabled? (It seems obvious it should be but by default it was disabled).

Which model Router do you have. So we all can help you out.
Disconnect the WAN (internet yellow or blue port) first
Power cycle the Router unplug it

Power cycle the modem first wait 30 seconds then connect the power.
Turn on back the Router
Connect the Router to the Modem
It should get IP from your ISP and DNS Servers should be one to two of them listed.
All PCs on your network should be powered cycled or rebooted a this point.

Notice: Your New Router comes with CD use that to setup it up your new router. Leave the defaults active unless you know what your doing and until you get use too your router features.

1) What does "Enable WAN Ping Respond" do?
2) What does "Enable DNS relay" do?
3) Should avoid arp attack be enabled? (It seems obvious it should be but by default it was disabled).
on 1: if enabled, anyone on the Internet can find your router and thus begin attacking it. Disable hides the router and avoids that vector of attack.

on 2: The default setting should be correct, at least for now. The explanation is involved and let's defer until it's necessary :)

on 3: Obvious answer is to enable. Also look for RIP updates and avoid both V1 & V2 in both directions.

Btw: As long as you are NOT using a USB connection from your PC to the router, you never need the CD that comes with any router. The beauty of Eithernet is the universal protocol allows connections from anywhere as long as the NIC & WiFi drivers are properly installed.

Back