TechSpot

Dllhost.exe question

By gnrtool82
Nov 15, 2007
  1. When I'm using Internet Explorer, pages load fairly slowly and I'm not really sure why. When I look at my Task Manager, the program dllhost.exe is using about 50% of my resources. Any ideas why this is taking so many resources?

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

I`d like to check for signs of malware.

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :)

3. gnrtool82

gnrtool82 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 27

here you are

4. howard_hopkinso

Your HJT log is clean.

However, that doesn`t necessarily mean your system is clean.

Do a search of your system for Dllhost.exe and see where it`s running from.

The legit version should run from the windows/system32 directory. If Dllhost.exe is found anywhere else, then it`s likely a virus.

SEE HERE for info on why Dllhost.exe can use so much of your system resources.

5. gnrtool82

gnrtool82 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 27

it was found in two places:

D:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-com-surrogate_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_41ed2cb9f696f0a2

D:\Windows\System32

Perhaps a problem?..

After a little research, it doesn't appear that that is a problem. But how can I fix it from dominating my resources?

6. howard_hopkinso

Because you`re running Vista, that may well be perfectly normal for that particular OS. In fact, I wouldn`t mind betting that it is normal.

Edit: Has the article I linked to not helped? If not, then I don`t really have nay other suggestions.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.