TechSpot

DNA can no longer be patented, says the American Supreme Court

By David Tom
Jun 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. When it comes to ethical debates, the decision to patent human DNA is one of the most controversial. It might seem ridiculous, but for the past three decades the American government has been awarding patents to biotechnology companies, providing them...

Read more

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,557   +2,900

So much for thinking I could patent my dog's DNA. The only dog I know that jumps a fence to crap in the neighbors yard and then returns home. The patent could have made me a fortune!

Seriously! Don't they have better things to do than play with (aka: f__kup) DNA?

Skidmarksdeluxe and misor like this.
  3. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 620   +118

Well in this case they can identify people with DNA sequences that puts them at risk for certain diseases which allows for preventative treatment. So, playing with DNA is okay imo in cases like that. Can't imagine the horrors that take place when this kind of stuff gets in the wrong hands...

4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,752   +1,107

Haha, probably not. But there's a lot to learn from DNA. The more we can predict from our DNA the more we can do to prevent things like cancer. Look at what Angelia Jolie just did.

This is kinda scary when you think about it. Its good news they fixed this crap. Competition in the marketplace is good for things like electronics and cars, but in healthcare, we'd all benefit more from sharing with each other. Innovation comes from taking previous breakthroughs and going a step further. Not that I expect drug companies to share research with each other... but it'd be nice.

psycros likes this.
  5. DNA can no longer be Patented, Duh! Who were the *****s who thought it could be in the first place? Maybe, I should have patented mine and charge all my children for the grand children they had or will have without my consent. Also, those who I've donated blood to need to pay up.

psycros likes this.
  6. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 1,043   +273

The last sentence in the article, "It?s important to note that the judgement will have no effect on synthetic DNA - these products are not considered 'natural phenomena' and are therefore not protected under patent law," should read "It?s important to note that the judgement will have no effect on synthetic DNA - these products are not considered 'natural phenomena' and are, therefore, protected under patent law."

Which means that Monsanto can go on suing farmers for growing crops that are a result of their GM crops pollinating natural growing crops in neighboring fields, as well as requiring that farmers buy seed from them every year even thought the crops the farmers grew from Monsanto's seed produce viable seed.

One other thing comes out of this, and perhaps is a more important aspect of the ruling than the DNA aspect, is that an abstract idea cannot be patented - I have seen patents on abstract ideas; therefore, all such patents are now junk as a result of this decision. I have to wonder how many patents have just been rendered junk due to this portion of this ruling. I think that this portion of the ruling is good in that this may stem the tide of overly broad patents.

It will be interesting to see the effect this has.

psycros likes this.
  7. spencer

spencer TS Addict Posts: 202   +22

Sweet yeah **** the globalists

8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,557   +2,900

Globalism has nothing to do with an organization playing God in a lab, with the sole intent of creating patents. Least you could do is label it correctly as an act of selfish prosperity.

9. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

This is all about money. If your business makes a drug you're going to want to isolate all other parts of the industry from encroaching on your research.

Pharmaceutical companies should be in an uproar about now. This patent wall they they throw up safeguards their research. Hopefully good research continues to happen despite this.

10. If DNA can be patented, what will be happen to your sons and grandsons (and all of your descendants) if they inherited patented DNA?

11. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TS Evangelist Posts: 595   +52

They'd be grandfathered in. *ba dum tsh*

12. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,509   +2,056

Why would they try patent human DNA? Where are they getting their advice from... Apple?

13. havok585

havok585 TS Booster Posts: 121   +19

Bwhahahha, cant stop laughing!!

14. spencer

spencer TS Addict Posts: 202   +22

globalists fund everything evil for instance"monsanto"