Do Asus Mobos SUCK???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgower2

Ok, there can be two explanations; either

1. Asus boards are the most commonly used mobos and that's why there are so many posts in here regarding problems with them

OR

2. They are actually very problematic boards

I know they usually reign supreme (or used to) in all the bechmark tests AND they are the MOST expensive boards on the market.

Please give your experiential feedback on these notorious motherboards.

I'm an MSI builder BTW. No floppy drive necessary for BIOS flashing!!!

I have had one problem with an asus board, but rma went really well and i have installed quite a few asus mobos without problems. In comparison to the luck i have with some maufacturers, asus is pretty good.

I own about 30 ASUS motherboards. In the past 8 years, in my workstations at home, about 75% of them were using ASUS motherboards. They tend to be very high-quality, high-performing boards. I would not say they are the "most common" though. If you take every x86 desktop in the world, the majority of the motherboards will likely be Intel- or Intel- based Motherboards. Problems will happen with all manufacturers. Most problems I've seen with ASUS boards are people not configuring them properly.

Also, I don't need a floppy to update my BIOS on my K8N or my A7N8X-E Deluxe or my A7N8X-X. Not sure why you mentioned that.

I also have an MSI K7D Master Dual Athlon, and although MSI has given me lots of problems in the past, it is a rock-solid awesome motherboard.

I currently own a K8V Deluxe and it's been rock-solid from day one. So, IMHO the answer to your question would be 'no'.

Thanks for the Feedback so Far

The reason I said that MSI mobos allow you to flash the BIOS w/o using a floppy disk is I have searched for other mobos that can do this and didn't find any. That was a few months ago (3-4). My search may have been limited to mobos w/ the I865 chipset though. I've RMA'd 2-3 MSI mobos recently and have had issues with them as well, but I've stuck with them mainly because I don't want to install a floppy drive - silly reason, I know, but I hate floppies. MSI boards usually get good ratings though as well on Tomshardware and other sites.

You generally pay a premium for Intel boards so I'd be surprised if they were the most common.

My MSI boards will flash the BIOS in Windows, without even having to go to real mode/DOS. Can Asus boards do the same? Just curious, not trying to say my board is better than your board :)

I have three asus boards and one is faulty.

but this more of a chipset dependent one

for example the nforce 220d board that i have are most problemetic of the lot.my freind who runs a hardware shop says that he gets a lot of these boards back with one problem or the other,but it did sell like hot cakes because of the price.

then perhaps the conclusion must be the cheaper boards are worst lot and the higher end bards do a lot better.

intel boards in my experience ARE the most common in manufactured pcs, BUT in newer computers I see less and less Intel and more and more of several other manufacturers, yes asus being one of them.

dgower2 said:
The reason I said that MSI mobos allow you to flash the BIOS w/o using a floppy disk is I have searched for other mobos that can do this and didn't find any. That was a few months ago (3-4). My search may have been limited to mobos w/ the I865 chipset though. I've RMA'd 2-3 MSI mobos recently and have had issues with them as well, but I've stuck with them mainly because I don't want to install a floppy drive - silly reason, I know, but I hate floppies. MSI boards usually get good ratings though as well on Tomshardware and other sites.

You generally pay a premium for Intel boards so I'd be surprised if they were the most common.

My MSI boards will flash the BIOS in Windows, without even having to go to real mode/DOS. Can Asus boards do the same? Just curious, not trying to say my board is better than your board :)

In the past 6 months I have updated the bios on over 400 Intel motherboards based on the 865 and 915 chipsets. I didn't need to use a floppy on any of them. I also didn't even need to have an OS installed.

So tell us, did you swap chips, or use a bootable CD?

My Abit AV8 3rdEye can update through Windows as well.
Until I got this Abit mobo for free in a competition, I've used Asus mobos from the P120 CPU, via PI/PII/PIII. My last Asus mobo was an A7V333 for AMD XP, which my daughter is now using.
Never had a problem with any of them.
They are/were more expensive, but like L'Oreal, I guess they are worth it.

realblackstuff said:
They are/were more expensive, but like L'Oreal, I guess they are worth it.

Why RBS, I didn't realize you were a hard-core L'Oreal user. ;)

{runs like hell}

Soul Harvester said:
In the past 6 months I have updated the bios on over 400 Intel motherboards based on the 865 and 915 chipsets. I didn't need to use a floppy on any of them. I also didn't even need to have an OS installed.

Please tell me the models of these boards and the flashing method you used?

Thanks

i updated my asus a7n4x-vm couple of times through windows without using the floppydisk.

i used the software given by asus for doing this.

Cool, Always Better to know the Facts than be Right

The part that bothers me is I went to Asus's, Gigabyte's, Abit's, Aopen's, and other mobo manufacture's websites specifically looking for the feature of being able to falsh the BIOS w/o the use of a floppy drive and I didn't find it in the specs/manuals of the other board makers. So I purchased another MSI board thinking it was the only one that offered this spectacular feature.

So I'm glad to now know that other manufactures make boards with this; I'm not limited to MSI.

Thanks everyone!

dgower and realblackstuff: I do not swap chips and I do not use a bootable CDROM. I use PXE Boot to boot off the network and have it update the bios automatically.

The boards used are these models:

ASUS CUV4X
ASUS P4P-E
Intel D845GVSR
Intel D865GBFL
Intel D865GLCLK
Intel D865PERL
Intel D915GAGL
Intel D910GVAD
Intel SE7501-W

And some other server boards I forget the specific models to.

Hmm, I'm humbled

I have to admit that I have not heard of nor used PXE boot, but I will be reading about it now to learn how it works. Thanks for the knowledge SH. From what I've read so far, using this method does require a "net-boot server"? This method seems geared towards a business/company network versus a home user; would you agree?

Thanks,

Dan

I use it at work and at home. It's of great use in both places, however I have many machines at home. At work it helps me get a lot done in a shorter amount of time, I don't have to deal with burning CDs or writing floppies, then waiting for them to load, or dealing with bad discs, or losing discs, etc. It just works and that's the way it should be!

How? If you have a few minutes...

I would assume that the server has either a feature or third party ap/util that you use to setup the aps or OS that get installed remotely. Would you mind providng some more details like what server OS, how you configure it to store the aps that install during PXE boot?

Thanks

I had nothing but problems with the Asus Mobo I tried to build on. I switched to MSI without any problems.

The Asus MB wouldn't even install windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back