do i get xp sp2 from windows update? or where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scyap

where do i get xp sp2?

another this, i heard there is this NEW virus which is in JPEG format

i want to download the security patch for it... where do i get it?

i couldn't find it at windowsupdate.com

help?
i dont know if im asking this at the right place, but u guys seem to be really good in computers...

as for sp2 type it in google , major geeks hosts it and few other people do . as for a virus in jpg format the best thing u can do is just update ur virus checking programs .

If you already have Windows XP, you should be able to download the service packs at Windows Update. But it sounds like you've been there for other things so I'm guessing you have an older Windows OS. Is that correct? If so, you will have to buy an upgrade to Windows XP. The upgrade from an older OS to XP is not free.

Generally, Windows Update does not fix virus problems although they sometimes address the issue there. That's a job for your antivirus program.

If you have XP then all the updates eventually change from SP1 to SP2. You can't select SP2 in the updates, but the updates themselves are the evolving service packs. Just update all the way and it will automatically change to SP2.

SCHUMIinSA said:
You can't select SP2 in the updates...
Actually, you can. If you only have SP1 installed, the first thing Windows Update will offer is SP2. One of my XP machines still only has SP1 and when I go to Windows Update, that's what happens. SP2 is a separate, specific update. All of the other accumulated updates to a SP1 machine doesn't turn it into a SP2 machine. Of course, without a broadband connection, it's a difficult download. However, Microsoft does offer the option of ordering a SP2 CD although there is a shipping and handling charge.

Okay it was just a guess. I never realy bothered with SP2 as I never had enough space for it. I also heard it had problems with games, so I left it. I SP2 on this machine now though.

Hi people, SP2 is also available free on disks u usually get in pc magazines.
I suggest that you upgrade to SP2, the bug thing was only specefic to certain Machines and certain software and the vendors have sorted it out a long time ago, SP2 is a major improvement

I dont know much about this sp2 buisness. I am currently having trouble with my computer and wonder if it would help. I actually don't know if i have it yet. (all i did was get all updates from windowsupdate) Would you recommend downloading it or not? and does it have to be downloaded right after installing winxp?

Whether or not it will help your problem depends on your problem. What is it?

I could be wrong but from the nature of your problem I wouldn't expect SP2 to solve it. However, ATI does recommend that SP2 be installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back