TechSpot

Do I need a better video card

By friend2u
Mar 10, 2004
  1. I do not play computer games but I do watch MPEG movies which are stored on my hard drive. Recently I recorded some VHS tapes onto my PC and although they are not bad even using the highest option (MPEG-2 8mbps per sec) leaves them somewhat lower in quality then the original VHS recordings. Do you think a better video card would help?

2. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,244

no, VHS copies are never all that great, but the capture device you use is mainly what will affect the quality of these files. If you get a beetter video card you might even see how bad they really are ;)

what are your ssytem specs, please also include the capture device if it is not internal. Someone may be able to give you some tips to get the quality a bit better, or recommend better capture equipment.

3. friend2u

friend2u TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 71

RE: Capture device & PC specs

I am using a 2.66GHZ with 768 RAM (DDR), the capture device is
    the TV Wonder VE.

4. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,244

That capture card is likely what is holding you back. The TV Wonder VE is a budget card. The VE stands for Value Edition.
    I'm not going to promise you'll see much difference with a better card, but you will likely see some since you won't be dropping frames as badly and will be able to capture at a higher quality with stereo.

5. lowman

lowman TS Rookie Posts: 380

You will also get better quality results from higher grade original media once you upgrade your card...something to think about.

6. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,094

You can also clean up the signal with a good software program eg. Pinnacle
    Always best to start with the best possible input (hardware) as the guys said.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.