Do I need a boot disk?

By Ludwig
Sep 21, 2005
  1. Got a new computer with nothing that was ever installed on it..

fixed a little problem that I had. Ok no biggy..

I inserted the windows CD but I can't seem to get it to install.. I have built two other computers before but without this problem... All computers don't have a floppy drive, the two that is working fin and the newest one.. I don't have a Boot CD. Dunno how to go abouts to make one either..

When it starts up I see "motherboard logo menu /where you can press delete/" then it shows "the little flashing underscore line/ where you can press F1 and I think F8/" In a flash it says something about "IDE" next it flash a screen and it says something about "1. no device something /next line down/ 2. no device" then it says something totaly new to me.. ""Reboot and press proper boot device or insert boot media in seleted boot device and press a key" When I am in the motherboard bios menu stuff it does read both the Sata HDD and the DVD Rom.. I setup the DVD Rom as the main Boot device..

Sata is the main HDD and where the Rom is it's in the blue 40-1 pin where usually the Uata HDD goes, when it's in the normal Rom 40-1 pin it don't even see it and I get a warning.. the motherboard is a "Asus, P5GD1-VM" 4 Sata plugins..

If your willing to help and/or need more info please do so.. Thanks
  2. Vigilante

Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,666

First get back in the BIOS and check the boot order. Usually in the Advanced section. Make sure CD-ROM is set first. This should let it boot off your Windows CD, assuming you have it so the BIOS recognizes the CD-ROM.
    So if you have just one CD-ROM and one SATA drive, you have it right. The SATA goes in the SATA-1 port or whatever. The CD-ROM set to master, and in the first IDE slot. Then set the boot order and try it.

Note that when you get it to boot off the Windows disk, assuming it's XP, you'll have to press F6 on the keyboard in the begining (it will say on the bottom to press F6, it's the first screen). This will allow you to load the SATA drivers later on in setup. Otherwise, XP won't see your SATA drive.

Your "...proper boot device..." error is perfectly normal. It's just saying it has nowhere to boot to is all.
  3. Ludwig

Ludwig TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 19

still got the problem

Ok I just double checked those boot orders, it was and still is DVD Rom first..

F6 don't seem to work.. I tried F6 on every screen.. Asus mobo logo is the first screen. Then underscore line then IDE scan then the boot device message.. Yep it is Windows XP Home edition.

In the bios. First IDE is DVD Rom drive, Theres no secondary or as much say Secondary (In other words and right in order here -->, First, Thired, Fourth), Sata HDD is in Thired then no fourth (wich shouldn't be a fourth)..

DVD Rom is setup on Master even with the connector right in the back of it..
    No need for connector with Sata.. And it is on the Sata1.

Now what? I'm lost... Vigilante, Thanks for time to help..
  4. Vigilante

You only have to press F6 after the Windows setup boots up from your CD. But seriously, if the BIOS sees the CD-ROM, and it's the first in boot order, and your XP disk is in the drive; there is nothing else that should be done.

If Those things are in place and it doesn't work, then I'd ask these questions:

Is the DVD fairly new? Or older?
    Is the XP disk a "real" disk, and not a copied one or recently slip-streamed?

Also note that when the CD is in the drive, it may ask you to boot off it or not. It will say "Press any key to enter setup..." or something like that.
    If the system is just skipping right over booting off the DVD, then there is a disk-to-drive relationship problem going on. Perhaps even a drive-to-pc relationship problem.

If you have a floppy, you can make XP boot disks and boot off those if it comes to that.
  5. Ludwig

It's working.

:blush: :blush: It was the Windows XP CD..

Wasn't thinking of the actuall CD could be defeted..

Thanks.. :blush: :blush:
  6. Vigilante

Alright. Excellent.

Note when you press F6, it later on gives you a new screen to load "additional drivers". You will need a floppy disk with your SATA driver on it at this point. The drivers must be on the root of the floppy disk, not in a subfolder.

Good luck
  7. Ludwig

Got it to work!!

Well windows is now installed and installed the drivers and whatnot..

I didnt' even need a floppy.. All I did was turn power on, press F6 then partition to slit up the HDD. Then install windows..

Everything works GREAT!..

Thanks again for the thoughts. :)
    I of course over looked.. :haha: :blush:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.