Do I need better RAM for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I recently got a new computer (a friend put it together for me) and so far, it works perfectly. I don't intend to upgrade any time soon, but out of interest I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the RAM I have is optimal for gaming or not. It's two sticks of 'GEIL 512MB DDR 400 RAM'.

Everything seems to run fine, but in the future I hope to upgrade to either 2 or 4GB. It would make sense to use my 4 slots to best effect by starting with the best RAM I can. perhaps someone would be so kind as to recommend some 512MB and 1024MB options suited to gaming, taking into consideration that I know nothing about RAM (I tried to learn more, but it just went over my head). Money is not really an issue as of yet seeing as this is purely hypothetical.

The rest of my system is this:

Motherboard: Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3700+
GPU: Xfx Geforce 7900GT SLi 256MB DDR3 PCI-E

Thanks for your time!

Harry

Geil is excellent memory. You could benefit from larger modules that come in matched sets, but otherwise, it should make little difference.

Hi guys, I've decided to look into this again.

I was thinking of starting with a fairly high end 1GB stick to go along with my existing 2x512s. Can anyone suggest what RAM I should go for? Please be very specific if you can, despite my best efforts I know very little about all this!

Thanks!

No. Don't waste your money. The extra $ isn't worth it and you really won't notice a difference. Be sure to read the ram guide in the guides forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back