Do I need both a router and an independent firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimflint1

Can't download from Avast or Comodo

On Friday I finally got rid of my dialup and got Comcast high speed. Well, now my Avast won't update, and I also can't download updates from Comodo. I've had a little trouble also with other websites not connecting the first time I've tried them, but generally these others have worked after a second, third, or fourth attempt. Not so with the updating of these other two programs. Any ideas what may be causing this?

I just upgraded to high-speed and added a router (netgear wgr614) for wireless connections elsewhere in my home. But I'm having a lot of problems with being able to download from Avast and Comodo, and also sometimes I need to click on links several times before I get directed to the site I'm trying to get to. I'm thinking it may be a conflict between the firewall included with the router, and Comodo. What think you?

A router's firewall is a nice addition but should never be your sole network security. Have you tried connecting to your router with a simple ethernet cable to see if the problems do not come from the wireless nature of the connection ?

If that doesn't work you may be infected with mal-ware. Some mal-ware will redirect you away from AntiVirus sites.

Didou said:
A router's firewall is a nice addition but should never be your sole network security. Have you tried connecting to your router with a simple ethernet cable to see if the problems do not come from the wireless nature of the connection ?

This is the main computer that is already connected to the router with an ethernet cable.

Blind Dragon said:
If that doesn't work you may be infected with mal-ware. Some mal-ware will redirect you away from AntiVirus sites.

I'll have to run some tests I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back