Do i need more memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duffguy

when i play some games on my comp (like halo) it somtimes goes really laggs even when im not playin online. And when i close it it keeps saying windows virtual memory is low and crap like that :confused: . What should i do? i know that i have 256mb of ram is that to little? is that even the problem? please help me with this. Does windows have anything to do with this?

specs:

intel pentuim 4 2.66ghz
windows xp pro
seagate 4gb hd
maxtor 80gb hd
256mb of ram
intel extream graphics 2

ill get more specs la8ter im not at home right now sry;[

First thing first, DO NOT buy refurbished RAM.

Next, find out what speed and make of RAM you have. You'll want to buy the same speed and probably the same make, just for compatibility/stability sake.

Read here to find out what RAM you have

After that, look at Newegg . For budget gaming, you're gonna want at least 512MB of RAM, if you don't want to have to upgrade again for another year or so, go for 1GB. Look for some type of value RAM, Corsair and Crucial make some very nice budget RAM. If you're willing to pay a little more, look for some RAM with 2-3-3-6 timings.

so my lagg problem is my memory? that will also stop the windows virtual memory problem thing poppin up right?? ill get back to ya after i find out my RAM.

Yes your lag problem is your low amount of RAM.

You can read about Virtual Memory here or here

This will explain how to change your virtual memory:

If you want to go the “tried and tested”, yet time consuming route without using any third-party applications, and have a separate hard drive/partition, this procedure will work every time. First, move the page file to the separate drive/partition. In XP, go to Control Panel > System > “Advanced” tab and under “Performance”, click “Settings”. Go to the “Advanced” tab and under “Virtual Memory”, click “Change”. In 2000, go to Control Panel > System > “Advanced” tab; click “Performance Options” and then “Change”. Select the drive letter that displays the Page File size. Select “No paging file” and hit “Set”. Next, select the separate hard drive/partition. Select “Custom Size” and set the Initial Size and the Maximum equal to 1.5 to 2 times greater than the total of system’s RAM. For example, if your system has 512MB of RAM, set the two values equal to 1024MB. Hit “Set” and OK after you’re done. Reboot when prompted.

Read the entire thing here (it's all the way at the bottom)

You can probably get a 512 stick for around 60 dollars. Make sure you get the right kind for your setup.

if i buy a 512mb stick will it combine my 256mb one making it 1 gb? will it also make my gaming for better to play

No, 512 + 256 =/= 1024 so the most RAM you're looking at is 768MB with the setup you're talking about.

This will DEFINATELY improve gaming.

If you are going to buy a new stick of RAM, make sure it is the same speed. I posted a link before showing you how to find that out.

Mazimize your page file utilization

When you do get your new RAM. hit "windows key" +pause break to bring up system properties. Go to "advanced". Under performance Options click the settings button. Then click on the advanced button. In the "virtual memory" box click "change". Now set your initial size == to your maximum size for your page file.. Hit "ok". This will maximize your page file performance when you run out of physical ram. (it wont have to keep resizing the pagefile).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back