Do I need Thermal Paste?

Jimbo Jacks

Hi guys,

Finally diving in head first to build my first rig ever. Yohoo!! Exciting times no doubt but I am unsure if I need to purchase Thermal Paste and apply it to my CPU upon installation. I'm purchasing an i7 4790K and will be using a closed loop cooler. Multiple replies would be great to cement the solution to my worries.

Thanks TS community.

You will need thermal paste of some type. If your CPU/cooler doesn't come with any, you will need to find some yourself. Some CPU coolers come with a preinstalled pad. I guess they are alright if you don't have paste to use instead. I personally would remove the pad and use paste.

Some thermal paste are better than others. But in my opinion if you are not overclocking, you will hardly see a difference.

Glad to have received a reply from someone well known and tech savvy as yourself.

It's 4790k I'm buying so I will OC to see what benefits I will gain during different scenarios. The cooler is the one listed on the Extreme build guide. I will check into both of these products to see if either of them come with thermal paste. If they don't what paste would recommend I purchase?

I wouldn't use the pre-applied, but it would be covered under warranty. In my opinion that is the minimalist protection for those that don't want to deal with applying their own paste. As well as company protection from those that wouldn't bother(or understand their need) with paste.

Ive built 3 pc so far and never bought thermal paste. I always wanted to but never saw the real need to my temps have always been low with stock paste and a good quality heatsink. with my first pc I had an core 2 duo e8500 oc'd to 4ghz and was able to play anything at the time. Now I have the i7 3770k and an nvidia 660ti and there isnt anything my rig cant handle right now...when I need to ill oc it as well but I probable will still not buy paste unless I didnt have any. I say if you want to squeeze every drop of speed from the cpu then get a good quality paste they have been proven to increase heat transfer (I hear arctic silver alot).But if you just want to tinker with it and see how high you can get or just oc for a little extra bank for your buck dont worry about it.

Back