Do I need to partition a big hdd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I recently installed a 320GB hdd. I've got my settings updated so that my computer recognizes the full size of the drive. I'm running WinME.

I'm wondering if I have to partition the drive in order for it to work properly?
Or can I just leave it as one big partition and expect not to have any problems?

Finally, if I do need to partition, are there any free programs (WinME compatible) available?

Thanks

if you install the OS on it I would suggest a size of partition of 10 to 15gb
for the windows the rest one big drive

that way when it crashs you don't lose your data

This is the only (legally) free program I know off: http://www.ranish.com/part/

It is advisable to split your HD as Samstoned suggested.
Soon as that is done, make a full backup/take an image.
Do that every 2-3 weeks or more often.
If anything goes belly-up (and ME is the WORST Micro$haft junk ever, so expect it sooner rather than later) you'll have at least a recent backup.
If you move My Documents and other user-data to the big partition, you'll lose a let less if ME flops.

Thanks,

I guess I should have been more clear. I have two hdd's. One with the OS and programs etc. The new, big drive is mainly for storage and other non-vital stuff.

I guess it sounds like partitioning isn't necessary for proper function, if I'm not using it as my master hdd?

Again, thanks for the replies.

ME is the most unstable OS that M$ ever came out with. I would upgrade to XP before doing anything else.

mailpup said:
If you wish, you may leave the full drive as one big partition.

Thank you for answering the question at hand so clearly!

WinME may be 'unstable' (and I have had plans on upgrading for awhile, when I get the chance), but I've been running ME on this computer for at least 4 years without a single problem. So, I may be one of the lucky ones, but regardless...

Anyways, thanks for the responses.

Tedster said:
ME is the most unstable OS that M$ ever came out with. I would upgrade to XP before doing anything else.
Listen to the saint here. In your name we pray, amen :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back