Do I really need a GPU on my laptop?

Poldian

Hi! I'm palling to buy a new lapto (ultrabook possibly). I've always tought that relaing only on the integrated Intel gpu was pointless, but now iI have doubts... I'm trying to figure out wether I really need a GPU or not. Beacuse if the answer is "no" I would have a more wide range of choices, reduce costs and weights of the machine... And I'm aksing for some sugegstions...

My PC usage:
- obviously web browing, emails, videos and so on (but those things create no problems I think...).
- university: some works need programming and high-demanding math calculation (I'm doing engineering), but till now no programs needed high 3d grapics or similar...
- video: I want to play very somoothly at least fullhd videos. And then some simple video editing (I mean something like creating the film of the summer, collecting fotos, videos and maybe simple and short time-lapses...)
- games? I'm not a great gamer, and I could play them on my desktop so this point I don't know...

Any sugegstion. Anyone had the same doubts and solved them?

Thanks a lot!!!

The GPU comes most useful when gaming :) There are uses in a browser for acceleration, but that has risks of infections.

Back