Do I use windows repair or what???

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwwok53

Was running a newly installed antivirus program, found several viruses, couldn;t repair so deleted the infected files. Now when I reboot, the start menu doesn't come up, can't do system restore even in safe mode so I evidently deleted some important files so I do I try performing a windows repair or what? If that is the answer, will it delete files and programs on the computer or not? I've never used windows repair so want to make sure what I'm getting in to before trying it.

backup your files first, so you don't lose your data.
first, try system file checker to replace system files that are corrupted:
in dos or in star/run, type sfc /scannow
have your xp cd ready, because it will be needed during system file check.
after that , if the os is still not behaving right, you may do a repair install on top of what you already have.

Thanks for your advice. Ran the file scan check as you said, and nothing seems to have changed. Still have no start button, can't do system restore. So is my option to do a windows xp repair? If so, will it delete files on the computer or does it repair as it implies? Thanks again for your assistance.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Yes, try a Windows repair as per this thread HERE.

Your data should remain intact. After the repair has finished, you will need to run the Windows updates again.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Howard-Thank you very much for your info. Ran the repair last night and this morning got the start menu back on and tried to perform system restore but it showed no other restore points other than today. I hooked up directly to the broadband modem with an ethernet cable but can't get on to the internet to get windows updates, so not sure what to do now, other than be very frustrated.Thanks for any further input of what to do or where to go from here.

I have used Norton systemworks registry and disk repair 2003 for years. Works great. I wouldn't run a computer without it. Highly recommended to fix problems like this.

Reinstall your modem/internet software and see if that helps.

Check in your device manager, for any yellow question or exclamation marks.

Regards Howard :)

Tedster-purchased norton systemworks, and in trying to install got message that Windows installer wasn't working, so tried to an install/update from the norton disk. Got a message saying it couldn't be installed when in safe mode, which I wasn't. Then got in the XP install disk and found where to try and reinstall from there and got a similar message. So now what do I do? Thanks for your assistance, again!

okay, finally got windows installer to reinstall and got norton installed. However, it will only do certain things and that is it. When I try to run the disk dr or the win dr or the virus scan it doesn't do anything at all. So now what? Thanks!

Something`s not quite right here.

I want you to check for viruses etc.

Go HERE and follow as many of the instructions as you can.

Then, open a new thread in the security and the web forum and post a fresh HJT log as an attachment.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back