do u get mad cuz 2 many ppl type lik dis???

do u get mad cuz ppl type like dis

• yes

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • no

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • maybe

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • so

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

somekid007

well alot of ppl r now typing in weird wayz becos they wanna save a few seconds wen they r posting. ne1 here mad cuz of dis? thxf 4 ur attention on my ADD

Doesn't make me mad, but that individual loses a lot of credibility. It's a pretty bad first impression.

Originally posted by Rick
Doesn't make me mad, but that individual loses a lot of credibility. It's a pretty bad first impression.
Thats exactly what I thought. If it is to an extent that I can't read it then I just think the dude is an *****, but it doesn't really bother me.

I completely agree with Rick, I don't mind it to a certain degree - but it makes that person sound retarded. 1337 sp34k is the worst, I can't stand people who use it seriously (and not occasionally as a joke).

This actually came up earlier today in the IRC channel, Soul Harvester is apparently incredibly intolerant of people talking like that. So, a new guy to our chan came in, talked that way, and Soul went ballistic on him. I won't go too much more in depth, it got pretty explicit at times, and I suppose not suitable for posting to the general public :suspiciou

The whole script-kiddie hacker talk is just that; for script kiddies only. They are the only ones that really use it. Or of course twelve year olds who's mother bought them a 'puter for Christmas.

And yea, it defiantely does cause you to lose all credibility and respect suddenly and your lucky if you ever get it back.

As far as I have been able to reason, mobiles (cellphones) are to blame.

I can understand why somebody may want to use such language if they only have 180 characters per £0.12 SMS message. Why people decided it it would be a "gr8 idea 2 talk lik dis tho" on the web and other places, is completely beyond me :confused:

Or maybe that's just a sign of how far behind tecnology I was when I fist used SMS on my first mobile.

I have to say though, I'm more than happy to use the better known emotion or action based abbreviations, such as lol, lmao, rofl, roflmao,.....

I don't care if it's in a chat room, forum, or anything similar.

What does bug me is when someone makes a nice site, or posts something on that site, and it's all in that writing. It makes you and the site look unprofessional, and unqualified.

Lol... which reminds me... of JSR's..... writing... it took you..... maybe two....... or three reads.......... to.... comprehend.... what he was....... saying... and he.... changed the topic..... alot.... when.... he wrote.... the sky is blue.... like this....

hehe :D

Originally posted by XtR-X
Lol... which reminds me... of JSR's..... writing... it took you..... maybe two....... or three reads.......... to.... comprehend.... what he was....... saying... and he.... changed the topic..... alot.... when.... he wrote.... the sky is blue.... like this....

hehe :D

LOL, you are so right, JSRish writing is the worst I have ever seen. I think that's why he got banned ;)

I have to agree with everyone who posted a reply here...in my opinion, typing like that takes more effort than it does to be grammatically correct and use halfway decent sentence structure...my 2 cents...

Yes. It's highly annoying and it only TAKES AN EXTRA 0.5 SECONDS TO CAPITALIZE YOUR SENTENCES AND ADD PUNCTUATION.

You save time because then people aren't confused by what you say. If it's IRC or IM, I'm fine because you have to be fast and get your thought in fast.

I believe typing lessons should be mandatory in schools. Teens are the only people who talk like this on forums. Adults are cool because they realize it's a courtesy to other people to type well and grammatically correct. Teens DON'T. (Well, most do, I try to type well and I'm 16).

SECOND, I made a first impression with people who type like that in forums. Not smart and doesn't care about other people.

If you don't want to be thought of that way, type like an intelligent person.

</rant>

I think it takes more effort to butcher English as badly as some people I've seen.

It gained widespread used with SMS', but has been around for ages...

It was useful to use abbrevations when on a BBS back in 198x/9x, like gr8 m8, c'ya l8er all. etc, since it saved time and took less space...
But as the internet took over, so did the people who thought they were part of the eLiTe... And though the "proper" l33t sp34k got it's own grammar after a while, most "oldies" decided to move on, leaving only the s'kiddies to use what they though they knew...

For myself, I don't mind too much short-speak, but you do leave a bad impression on me if it's the first time I read a post of yours... (But then again, so does lots of typos & bad grammar unless you either excuse yourself, or ask for help with spelling......)

Yea, I could understand abbreviating things on a 300bps connection. I used to run a BBS way back on a 2400bps modem and back in those days I never saw anyone talk like that. Except for the occasional "lmao" or <g> for grin. Connecting at 300bps pretty much impaired your typing speed though. Sort of like getting on a computer at the library to look up a book. Those computers just can't keep up with my typing speed. Ah, the BBS days. Those were nice. I still miss them.

Amen to that!

I really loved those days, there was a much more closenit community those days than it is today. I'm not saying we don't have a good community here, only that it was even better in those days...

/me dreams himself back, and allmost forgets that he's was supposed to be at a birthdayparty 1.5 hours ago...

Yes, typing like that bugs me somewhat, but I've been thinking about taking advantage of it. I'm studying English in university (interpretation and translation, to be more precise), and this kind of "language" could be a thesis subject :)

I've been using SMS for about six years too, but I still manage to say what I have to say in 160 characters without using extensive abbrevations. Then again, it's not a big deal if I type 320 characters, either.

Back