Does anybody think the Wii is overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have all three of the current gen consoles and the Wii is my least favorite. Don't get me wrong, I like it but I think it's just a rebadged Gamecube with a new contoller. My 3 year old daughter, on the other hand, loves it. It's the only one she asks to play - and she asks daily.

I played it the other night for the first time and didn't realize you don't have to swing or punch that hard, the next day I was sore as hell. It was fun but I still like the ps3 the best.

my 3year old did like the wii also, but she likes playing on the computer more

I love the Wii, but I think it's more for multiplayer games (such as Wario Ware and SSBM/SSBB etc). For single player and online games, 360 rules.

How is it overrated? the 360 is more overrated than the wii. Not saying I hate the 360, I like both consoles (i prefer 360) but wii has all the great nintendo classic games.

Overrated is a loaded statement. The Wii is fantastic, own or play one and you will see. Compare it to a 360 or ps3 and certainly you will notice its graphics are not of the same level. If you knew anything about consoles you'd know the Wii wasn't trying to be on par with that.

What I don't understand is how Nintendo can create a new controller that effectively utilizes motion control, and people say it's "Just a Gamecube with a new controller," yet surprisingly few people complain that the 360 is just a cheaper, toned-down but more convenient alternative to a gaming PC? Aren't new ideas for games what make the games new, not just the graphics?

I don't really care what Wii can offer for gaming. I do care that Wii offers Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, and Smash Bros., and just those 3 are enough for me to justify having one.

I would say it's a bit overrated by mainstream media but then again we PC gamers (and even PS3/Xbox gamers) sometimes pay too much attention to the technology and not the actual 'fun' necessarily.

Given the sales figures and the way Nintendo has regained momentum in the console market, all while opening up new markets and interest from otherwise non-gamers, you could as well argue it's just that good (the Wii), not necessarily the hardware or even the games but the whole experience that it is bringing to a large audience.

My family and I got the Wii for Christmas and my god do we all love it. I am in the military so there is no way I cann afford either the 360 or the PS3 (especially the PS3). I have always been a loyal PS fan not because Microsoft made bad consoles but I personally disliked the controller layout. This is the first console that my entire family can play without my wife or I having to stop every ten seconds to explain what was going on in the game or how to play it. I have a seven year old and three year old boy and the Wii Sports game is easily playable by both of them. While the graphics may not be up to par with the 360 or PS3, I think this is the best console to ever come out for family play. Not to mention it's highly interactive gaming experience.

They are all overrated, but as game enthusiast they keep us entertained. My brother has a Wii, a bit over priced but a very fun game. As stated by SandV4, for family play nothing beats it. It has it's place amongst the other consoles, bowling and golf are a hoot. Tennis and baseball are lots of fun to, thats as far as we have gotten with it.

The problem is this isn't a very good question as asked. We have a guy that asks a question and doesn't back any of it up with his own thoughts, and instead relies on us to discuss for him.

The Wii is only overrated if you think it is, and your decision is only valid if you've played it and then considered that against its target audience.

I think when you do that, very few of us can honestly say its overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back