Does anyone actually understand hibernation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

puck_andy

Not talking about your bed. Recently I took out my 650 from my intel 810 and put in a 950 mhz chip. So far everything is fine, so I upgraded to windows xp and that's when the problem started. I lost a number of programs, but on top of that I can't successfully put the computer in suspended mode anymore.:mad: Anyone know how to fix this? I suppose that it will sleep, but it won't wake up. Normally moving the mouse or pushing a key will wake it, but now only resetting will bring it out. I was forced to turn off the option all together. I'm a college student with a electricity bill to pay, so if anyone can tell me that there is no power usage difference or how to fix the problem, I'd be grateful.......Dang that took too long to write. Thanks:confused: :dead:

If your OS is invoking a power suspend in conjunction with the BIOS, and there are problems, then I suggest the following:

-Updating ALL drivers, especially graphics card and network card, to latest versions.
-Going to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and getting all updates for your OS, including latest service packs, and
-Finally, if all else does not prevail, flash the BIOS to the latest version.

Hibernation is where the current data stored in memory is dumped to the hard disk and later retreived when Windows starts up again.

That's how I understand it.

yeah the OS writes the current contents of RAM to disk. so you have a hibernation file the same size as your RAM.

The most common problem with PM is with APM and ACPI.

Go to BIOS, there should be an option that turns APM/ACPI on/off.

Also, you may try toggling the "PnP OS installed" option.

IMO the hibernation thing is rather dodgy, there is not that much gain compared to normal suspend and you may even have the option to use suspend to RAM which is even cooler than hibernation.

I'm running Phoenix Bios 4.0 version 6 I think. I don't have an option for turning APM/ACPI on or off, but I might not be doing it right. If anyone has an ideas for how to properly enable my suspend or hibernation, let me know. Suspending the RAM sound intriguing, but I don't have the "PnP OS installed" option.

If you go into your BIOS setup, there should be a menu item called Power Management. Consult your motherboard manual.

If there is no such option, then you have a very bad motherboard. You can try upgrading the BIOS, new features are added to newer revisions.

Suspend to RAM can be set from an option "ACPI suspend mode" or sth like that (if it exists). S1 is normal suspend, S3 is suspend to RAM.

STR is really great, your desktop will come up in 5-10 seconds, all your apps already running. Something Windows users are not used to..

Don't get your hopes up, STR usually isn't available or doesn't work.

bios bad

You're right, I do have a horrible motherboard, but upgrading would pretty much mean scratching the system I have now and I don't have the money to do that. I had a working system till I had to install XP over all of my system. It got rid of a lot of programs that I needed like dvd decoders and my burner software. My HP disk doesn't work to recover these unless I go back and reinstall 98 from the backup disk. One of those programs or drivers must have been deleted during the process, and that's why I can't use hibernation properly. It doesn't seem to recognize other programs running to take it out of hibernation or suspend like it should. I am really starting to loath HP. Do you know where I can update my bios? I don't have an internet connection to that computer, so everything has to be brought on a zip or a burned cd. Hopefully I can get the service packs this way and it will help. Any more suggestions are very helpful. Thanks.:grinthumb

It is all making sense now. You have an HP? This would explain why you can't access the BIOS.

Are you wanting to Hibernate, or Suspend? These things are different. Hibernation saves the current desktop, etc.. and shuts down, when you power up, it is just like you left it. Suspend is a power save feature that powers down the drives and shuts off the monitor but has the ability to come back with mouse movement or a keystroke.

To enable The power save features, just open Power Options and click the APM tab(if it isn't there, open Device Manager and click View in the menu and choose "Show hidden Devices". Then find NT APM/Legacy Support, expanding it will show NT APM/Legacy Interface Node. Enable it) On the APM tab back in Power options, you'll need to enable Power Management or something like that(its the only option in there) Then on the Power Schemes tab, set the power scheme you want.

You should also see a Hibernation Tab in Power Options where it can be enabled.

Well, it is the original 810, which is hard to find on the intel website. Not to be confused with 810e. Since I have upgraded (I dread calling it that) to XP, I can't really take advantage of HP anymore because they don't support upgrades to XP on a 8668c. sorry i didn't include that earlier.

On HP's site you can still get a BIOS for your computer, it doesn't matter what OS you are running to upgrade the BIOS.

I'll try again I suppose

I'm really not sure about that, because I've tried before, without much success. The computer had some problems with memory managers of some sort in the blue screen mode, which scared the pooh out of me. The latest update I could find seemed to be merc_210. I'll try it out, because it mentions the problem I'm having in a way. I'll be back later, (hopefully) with some more detailed problems or praise for you guys.

To stormbringer:

Neither work. I've tried that long ago. Suspend and hibernate are equally unworkable. Both lock into their respective modes and stay there.

Do you really need it to go into hibernation or sleep? Just got to where you choose your screen saver and click advanced, then have it shut down your drives after a certain amount of time and have it turn off your monitor. Now those won't get you as good of power saving as suspend or hibernation, but it will be cheaper than leaving your computer and drives on all the time.

Originally posted by SNGX1275
Just got to where you choose your screen saver and click advanced, then have it shut down your drives after a certain amount of time and have it turn off your monitor.

If he can't get APM to work, then that won't work either will it? Isn't that controlled by APM?

The programs that run all that work for shutting down the monitor, but I'm pretty sure when it shuts down the other parts, like the hard drive it has problems. I'm having a bit of difficulty with the bios update too. I'll get more specifics later. Finals week here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back