Does deleting a program on one user account delete it for all??

Status
Not open for further replies.

foycur

My two boys are getting older and more computer savvy. My 5 year old has clicked several icons on my desktop that have done things like reinstall my ATI drivers, etc and generally create havoc.

I have XP SP2 and have decided to create a user account for my boys. I don't want my boys to be able to install programs, or do any significant damage. I have a few programs that I dont' want them to access (Far Cry, GTA VC and such). If I go to the A/R Programs window and remove these programs on their accounts, does it remove them for all the accounts or just theirs?

If anyone has any links that give practical tips for setting up other user accounts, I'd be most appreciative. Thanks!

Removing a program will remove it on all accounts. Set them up as limited users and they wont be able to install or remove drivers/programs or make any system wide changes. If you dont what them to see those programs you could just right click it and delete it from their start menu. I doubt that they would know to go to the c:\programfiles folder. When I was their age I crashed my computer. My dad got a program called kid's desk. It came on with startup and I could only launch the programs from it. You can read about it here.

http://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue156/96_Kid_desk.php

That was back in 1993. They might have something like that now.

if you have a lot of programs you don't want them access to
that may be tough
delete all the icon from there desktops
under the default docs setting folder copy what you will to your admin folder for now leave the originals only
right click on the desktop icon under properties advanved tab you can change credentials
try one see what happens
never allow children full access to machine
you can also hide files to do google search for protected hidden files

And of course - the great thing about NTFS over FAT32 - permissions! If they have seperate accounts anyway you can always modify some portion of the application to deny their account access. You could even deny permissions to entire folders (like those game folders) for their accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back