Does it matter if I get a different card for SLI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MerlinFist

Hi,

Maybe someone could help me. I am looking to go sli and am hoping to buy the same card to the one I have (see my spec),but I dont seem to be able to find a new one anywhere.

I like the card I have, its a strong 8800, OC quite high out of the box in my opinion.

I can only find used ones, and would to prefer to buy new.

I have been thinking of buying a 9800gt as its basically the same card, as far as I can tell. Would the performance be a massive amount difference as its not the same model, I know this card uses the same chip, but every frame extra is going to help.

Would I get the same performance if the second card isn't identicial but say a slightly better model like the 9800gtx?

Also does it matter as much if I change to a different brand, I am currently using XFX?

Thanks

I know identical cards from different makers and go sli. I think there was a die shrink after the g80 series though.

Thanks, I just dont wont to buy a 9800gt and find out that the 2 dont go together.

Would there be a huge difference in permorance if I got a different brand 8800gt?

You cannot use a 9800GT or an 9800GTX. They have different BIOSes from the 8800GT and the 9800GTX is a highly-overclocked 8800GTS 512, making it a completely different beast from the 8800GT. If you are able to flash the 8800GT BIOS to that of a 9800GT or vice-versa, then it might work.

And no, the brand will not matter. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/XFX-GeForce-8800GT-PCI-E-PVT88PUHD4/dp/B0013K32YM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232392600&sr=1-4]Here[/ame] is a link to the cheapest, in-stock 8800GT I found. I think it is the same card you have too, which is even better.

for that kinda money i would get an Ati 4870. Really good card for the money performs like a GTX 260 but cheaper.

I would too, but that is upto the OP. If he wants SLI, then spending that much on an 8800GT is the only way to do so, unless you decide to buy from eBay.

Rage, you are a star, that helps huge amounts.

So it would appear that its got to be another 8800gt, The link you provided was very useful, but I should really change my specs to say that I have a 512mb version, where as that is a 256mb, also it seems very exspenaive for a 256mb. I only paid about £200 GBP for mine brand new when it was released.

What 8800gt 512 mb version would you recommend?

And again thanks for your help.

Ah, I didn't notice that you're in the UK. You can get this 512MB 8800GT then.

Ignore the picture there BTW, it's of some other card. MSI doesn't make any passive-cooled 8800GTs, and the 8800GT's PCB is far larger than that of the card in the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back