Does System Mechanic scub away bad cluster fixes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumter

I have an IMB compter that had XP Pro on it. It died. I found an old hard drove and installed it. It came up with an e-machne logo and annoimced it was 98. I threw in the 6 boot disks from Microsoft and figured it would load Windods XP Pro frm the CD on reboot. Wrong.

On reboot it asks me to press any key to load from the CD. I do this and it poceeds, sometimes to the place where it asks me for my ID number. I put it in and shortly later it jumps into disk scan mode. I have done this maybe 10 times in the last 3 days. The trouble is that it finds and corrects bad clusters. This takes time. To matters worse, it hibernates or somethng if I leave it for more than 2 or three hours (like so I can sleep). When I come back the screen is black and none of the keys do anything, and I have to shut it off and back on and the process starts all over.

I realize I should have run the DiskScrubber from System Mechanic right off the bat. But I figured it might have something I needed on it.

Okay, now here my question: If I stick in the System Mechanic Disk Scrubber now, follow up with the 6 book disks and then Windows XP, will all those bad cluster fixes be lost and I'll have to spend the next 3 days fixing them all over again?

Sandy

Turn off power management features in the BIOS setup to keep the computer from going into standby.

Use the hard disk diagnostics software from the HD manufacturer to run a full test on the drive. It will test more than any generic disk test program can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back