Does the Dell 4700 stock power supply have dual 12v rails?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AhrenBa said:
Wow, thats amazing. Dell uses a dual rail power supply.....something that actually has good use! lol

that PSU is the 305W HIPRO model HP-P3087F3 which is also a standard non-propritary ATX PSU Gateway and HP also use this powersupply in some of there systems. It's one of the better OEM PSUs.

dmill89 said:
that PSU is the 305W HIPRO model HP-P3087F3 which is also a standard non-propritary ATX PSU Gateway and HP also use this powersupply in some of there systems. It's one of the better OEM PSUs.

Sweet! Thats great, I was hoping it was standard ATX. Do you think a 7600gt could run ok on this PSU? Thanks

AhrenBa said:
Sweet! Thats great, I was hoping it was standard ATX. Do you think a 7600gt could run ok on this PSU? Thanks

What are your current system specs CPU,RAM Drives,etc

dmill89 said:
What are your current system specs CPU,RAM Drives,etc

I have a 2.8ghz P4 Prescott, 1 CD-RW, 1 SATA hard drive, a modem PCI card, 2 DDR2 Ram sticks, and a system fan

dmill89 said:
Yes the extreme PSU calculator avalible here http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
comes up with 240W for that config with a 7600gt so you should have plenty of wattage to spare

Nice, I have used that calculator before, but when I configured in the Surge Compensation, and Capacitor Aging, it put it over the top. Its in the footnotes, I used the recommended %'s. Do I need to worry about this?

I have also heard that Dell's PSU's are underrated is that true? Something like a 305w is actually at 350w?

surge compensation is the PSUs ability to withstand a power surge under that load. If you have a surge protector you don't need to worry about this. Capacitor ageing is mainly for older PSUs as the capacitors inside of a PSU loose about 10% of there capacity each year.

dmill89 said:
surge compensation is the PSUs ability to withstand a power surge under that load. If you have a surge protector you don't need to worry about this. Capacitor ageing is mainly for older PSUs as the capacitors inside of a PSU loose about 10% of there capacity each year.

Ok, that is really good to know. Do you think I would have enough power to spare so that I could also add a PCI fan? thanks

dmill89 said:
yes PCI slot fans only use about 5W or less.

Great! That is very good to know. I appreciate your help very much.

One last question and that'll be it:

Since the Dell PSU has Dual rails, it won't have any shortage of amperage for the video card correct? Thanks

Oh and also, I have also heard that Dell's PSU's are underrated is that true? Something like a 305w is actually at 350w?

with a combined 12V amperage of 36A it will be fine for that card 24A is enough for most cards and your PSU has that plus an aditional 12A to spare

AhrenBa said:
Oh and also, I have also heard that Dell's PSU's are underrated is that true? Something like a 305w is actually at 350w?

Yes Dell lists the continues not the peek wattage

dmill89 said:
Yes Dell lists the continues not the peek wattage

Wow, this keeps getting better! Thanks a ton!

Ok, seriously, this is the last question (sorry for asking so many), what is usually the peak on Dell PSU's? By this I mean is there a general number you can add on to your PSU's continuous wattage to get the peak, since dell doesn't tell you?

Thank you very much! :)

AhrenBa said:
Wow, this keeps getting better! Thanks a ton!

Ok, seriously, this is the last question (sorry for asking so many), what is usually the peak on Dell PSU's? By this I mean is there a general number you can add on to your PSU's continuous wattage to get the peak, since dell doesn't tell you?

Thank you very much! :)

there is no definite general number there usually 10-15% deference on PSUs between continues and peek

for a power supply to be adequate, it's continuous power rating should exceed the PC's maximum power draw.

the peak output is not important. (the peak rating is usually used to make cheap PSUs seem more powerful than they really are). good PSUs will list continuous power (some list continuous and peak), but cheap PSUs will only list peak.

in other words, don't worry what the peak output is. it's not important because you should not be drawing more power than the PSU can continuously provide.

cheers :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back