Does this memory module fit this mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I am dim, but I can't figure out if the memory I have will work with the mobo i have.

mobo: Asus A7V400-MX
(from the supoprt manual: supports up to 2GB unbuffered PC2700/PC2100/PC1600 non-ECC DDR SDRAM)

Memory: 1 x 512 DDR 400 PC3200 UDIMM made by elixir.

I know the 'PC' numbers don't match, but i was assured twice by the tech guy that the memory is backwards-compatible with the mobo specs.

Unfortunately I am having problems with the new mobo, which may be due to the new memory, I'm not sure!!

The full problem I'll describe if I get past this issue. Don't want to bore you with it all stright up at first.

Ben

Yes it should work. It will just run at most 2700 (333MHz) or slower
instead of 3200 (400MHz), depending on the CPU FSB and your settings.

XP Pro Activation and new hardware

[edits]
ah-hah! I found the real reason for my troubles, and I'm a fool for not realising before: I have an OEM version, which is linked to the motherboard! Of course it's not gonna let me change it!

So if anyone knows a way to de-activate my OEM version and re-activate it using another key (we happen to have an MS Action Pack), then can they post it here? I called MS and they won't help me - said I have to re-install the OS!
[/edits]

Thanks luvhuffer.
I've been cruising the multitude of boards around for answers to my problem, and I think the most likely case is that because I've put new hardware in my PC, Windows XP Pro Activation balks at letting me into what it believes is a 'cloned' system.

I really want to avoid re-installing the OS after a major hardware upgrade, mainly because it takes so damn long, but aso because I want to know if there's another way around it. I don't want to have to re-install windows every time I make a bit hardware change.

If anyone knows an 'easy' way around this whole activation thing, let me know!

Ben

If accused, I and my WTF? team will disavow any knowledge of this post and/or blame it on an evil twin clone.

Double-click My Computer
Double-click on the "C" drive
Go to the C:\Windows\System32 folder (you may have to click on the link that says "Show The contents of this folder")
Find the files "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" and copy them to a safe location. You can copy them on a floppy drive or burn it onto a CD or DVD.
After you have reinstalled Windows XP on your reformatted hard drive, click "No" when asked if you want to go ahead and go through the activation process
Reboot your computer into SafeMode (you can either press F8 as Windows is booting up to see the Windows Advanced Options menu and select SAFEBOOT_OPTION=Minimal or follow the instructions in Starting Windows XP in SafeMode
Double-click My Computer
Double-click on the "C" drive
Go to the C:\Windows\System32 folder (you may have to click on the link that says "Show The contents of this folder")
Find the file "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" (if it exists) and rename them to "wpadbl.new" and "wpabak.new"
Copy your original "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" files from your floppy disk, CD or DVD into the C:\Windows\System32 folder
Restart your system (if you followed the directions in Starting Windows XP in SafeMode you may need to go back into MSCONFIG to turn off booting into SafeMode)

WARNING! This method is not intended to circumvent activation for the purposes of activating an illegal copy of a Windows operating system. That being said, there is no limit to how many times you can activate your Windows. As long as you are only using it on one system in accordance with the EULA. Just talk nice to the lady in Redmond. Sugar will always get you farther than sour grapes. I have activated my system more than 20 times now without a problem including when I had to call in to get my key reactivated. It's really not the big deal everyone makes it out to be.

actually you mention re-installing the OS there, that's a bugger :(

I might have to in the end I suppose, but I was hoping there was a way I could "convert" my licence from OEM to Action Pack (which is a sort of volume licencing I guess).

ben

It's almost impossible to switch over to another mobo and maintain the original install on the hard drive due to driver conflict. On top of that the system manufacturer often has a proprietary CMOS chip installed, Compaq being a good example of that. What you might try is going into the device manager and uninstalling the chipset drivers with the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. When you uninstall them from the driver tab and reboot, often times they just reinstall themselves. You have to click out of the found new hardware balloons in the lower right quickly. What you want is to get a message saying there was a problem installing your new hardware. That's a good sign that the OS has installed the generic drivers, giving you an outside chance of making the switch. If the mobo is history and that's what prompted the new install then it would be best to have purchased a mobo with the same chipset or brand. I've only managed to do that once and only because both were made by ECS (1 ECS, and 1 PCChips) and both had VIA chipsets which although different models, shared the same 4 in 1 drivers.

The other option you may try is to just use someone elses XP CD, and hope it takes your key when you install it. It doesn't matter to me whether it's a recovery CD or what that you use to install the OS with. As long as you have a legit license that YOU PAID FOR, legally they should allow you to get your paid and licensed operating system on your one computer. regardless of your source, as long as you can provide a legal key, and not some corporate version that's wandering all overin 10,00 files of 50 different key generators on 10 different p2p sites. That's my little activation rant. I better shut up before I get myself in trouble.<g>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back