Doesn't look like Windows 8 is doing all that well...

slamscaper

I just installed the latest version of Avast and I was checking out their global statistics. 61% of their end-users are running Windows 7, 27% are on XP, while only 6% on are Windows 8 (and another 6% use "other" OSes).

Honestly, Windows 8 hasn't appealed to me at all. I have checked it out pretty thoroughly, because I restored a few OEM PC's that shipped with Win 8. I just think the UI is awkward on a traditional PC, which seems to be the consensus for most users. It's a shame that MS forces the new UI down everyone's throat, but I guess they feel they have to do this to stay relevant, as iOS and Android devices are really gaining traction in this day and age. MS probably wants everyone to get used to their touch based UI asap. I don't agree with their tactics, but it is what it is.

The new 8.1 update didn't really change my opinion. They may have brought the start button back, but more importantly the start menu is still gone, so this change means nothing. You are still forced to use the tile based (Metro) UI, which is the new start menu. The new start menu makes me feel like my PC is an Xbox 360, and I just don't really care for it. Of course, there are third-party solutions that bring the start menu back, which is the route I would take if I was forced to use Win 8. I'm sure I can get used to the new UI, but I just don't like it. The "all apps" screen is ridiculously cluttered and I feel like I'm looking at a bunch of useless shortcuts that I don't need.

I'll be sticking with Windows 7 for the time being. So is Windows 8.1 appealing enough to make you dump Win 7 for good?

MS wont bring back the start menu. They put all their resources into making the metro start menu that they wont want to revert back. Yes, MS screwed up, but we cannot change that. They should have made Windows 8 a flattened, speedier, and more functional Windows 7 and had a Windows 8 Tablet edition on the side.

Which means they have probably lost me forever. If they are going to be so hard headed, I can be also. If they are not going to try and hold my interest, why would they think they will?

I really hope Linux explodes with the SteamBox so that Windows isnt needed for gaming. Plus, DICE is talking about gaming on Linux, which means they are experimenting. Finally, Linux Kernel 3.12 is said to bring huge GPU performance improvements to AMD GPUs. Up to 50%.

Back