Domain(s) - available or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahal

Hi all,

I hope this isn't pushing the boundaries of what this section is for. I registered a .org which was listed as available through the site of my local registrant. I also registered the .com and .net variants of the name. All very well I thought.

This evening I've discovered that the .com and .net went through fine, but the .org is registered to someone else since January! How the hell can this be? Last week it was marked 'available', and I thought that I'd registered it.

There's yet another name that was due to expire 22nd. of March but is STILL 'unavailable' and is under the clutches of godaddy. Sense is not making sense. Can anyone help please?

Cheers,

Anthony.

Private organization. They can do what the like, at any time.
It's all about the money, maybe you will need to pay more for the .org when it becomes available.
Mind you, you got the main ones, who types .org anyway, it's all .com or net

ahal said:
Last week it was marked 'available', and I thought that I'd registered it.
Availability? Says who? The InterNIC organization controls ALL domain name registrations.
It would be quiet impossible for one company to perform this massive task world-wide,
so they have created 'authorized registrants' to assist them
( see http://www.internic.net/alpha.html for a MASSIVE list )

Visualize the problem; I want name MyDomain.com so the query goes to one of the
sub-registrants and you get back Is Available or Taken. Even if you immediately
attempt to buy/register MyDomain.com, it is possible that some other sub-registrant
has taken it out from under you because there is no single realtime database for
the original online query. Instead, each sub-registrant has a local copy which gets
updated frequently from the master.

BTW: camping on all sub domains, eg .com, .net, .org (which are just three of six originals) is meaningless.
Yea sure, someone might attempt to get a look-alike domain, but the search engines are site specific and your actual URL that gets
bookmarked is/has become meaningless -- spend your time and effort to get good
search engine placement is far more productive.

Many thanks

Hi Jobeard,

Thanks a lot for that ... I know about 100 % more than I did to begin with :eek: Now that we're here, what do you think of NetObjects fusion as a design package? I'm into design, but all attempts at HTML have left me screaming and running for the door. Well, not quite, but it didn't sink in anyways.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Tony.

Thanks!

kimsland said:
Private organization. They can do what the like, at any time.
It's all about the money, maybe you will need to pay more for the .org when it becomes available.
Mind you, you got the main ones, who types .org anyway, it's all .com or net

Thanks Kimsland,

I feel a bit better now! Really, for someone who spends so long online my knowledge doesn't half suck lol ...

ahal said:
...what do you think of NetObjects fusion as a design package? I'm into design, but all attempts at HTML have left me screaming and running for the door.
I understand :) Web programming is layered N-Ways to Sunday. Multiple concepts
(html, cgi, css) multiple implemenations (Flash, Java, Dreamweaver), and object managers (Corba, NetObjects).

The subject is so rich that it is a whole field of study approaching the theological in
bias and preferences :)

Begin rant:
I from the old school; Content and Information is king and everything else (imo) is
just pretty eye candy. Products need nice presentations, but people buy products
based upon information, eg specifications, functions, features. While I greatly
appreciate nice graphics with mouse-over behaviors to change window content,
those things can be (depending upon the implementation) a nightmare to modify and
keep current.

There are nice wisiwyg tools to make life easier, but change just one small thing and
you need to update many files on the webserver -- not very productive.

The 'complexity' of webpages is magnified by attempting to do everything in one page,
eg adding Fonts, colors, backgrounds and to control placement on the window.
That code is just maddening!
Content is controlled by the HTML; write simple pages with paragraphs of information.
Then add CSS to control the presentation. Need to change a look-and-fell of the site? -- change the style sheets, not the content.
Want to improve performance of your website, add some forms validations to the page with Javascript.
The application is always on the webhost and accessed using the CGI interface.
The code running there can actually be ANYTHING you please, even VBS scripts.
End Rant!

:D Thanks a lot Jobeard,

Lol ... I even tripped over Fusion at first. I sat down with one of the most basic versions ( MX in fact ) and couldn't understand why an entire evening's work got wiped away in one go! What I didn't realise at the time was that I was straying outside the predefined page 'borders' ... everything inside it can be customised, outside it and every page follows suit. I ended up with 12 introductory pages, all the same!

Having regained my confidence a little over the years I sat down to do a 'quick' site about a month ago, and I'm only getting finished now. I've been reading a lot about 'mashing', and indeed I decided to 'outsource' a lot of the heavier stuff like hi - res. pictures / Video to Flickr and YouTube. Just as I get it done, the Fusion people tell me that MX has proprietry HTML, which CAN lead to sluggish performance.

I went and got version 10, but I can't bring myself to even attempt 'migrating' the site from one to the other. I see what you mean about content ... come to think of it some of my favourite sites and some really popular ones are not exactly what could be called 'exciting' to look at. Incidentally, I decided to make the site compatible with 600X800 displays as well. Weird thing is, when I upsize to 1240X760(?) the margin is on the right, rather than left. Odd, eh?

I guess to be honest, I probably WILL get more adventurous, but I find a lot of programs a bit like going from roller skates to a Ferrari. I'd like to have some experience of the Lada inbetween. Interesting you should mention CSS ... the latest version of Fusion has 'CSS emulation', whatever the heck that is when it's at home!

Thanks again, your responses have been very helpful.

Regards,

Tony.

ahal said:
Just as I get it done, the Fusion people tell me that MX has proprietry HTML, which CAN lead to sluggish performance.
hum; consider the source of that comment :(
use your browser and VIEW SOURCE to this page -- did you notice:
Code:
<html ... <head> ... and scrolling WAY down --- </head><body>
that IS HTML coding. ALL webpages have HTML. Choose carefully to whom you listen :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back