Don't be surprised if Amazon adds PayPal as a payment option

Shawn Knight

Staff member

PayPal CEO Dan Schulman revealed in a recent interview that his company has been in discussion with one of the world’s largest e-commerce players with regard to letting shoppers pay for their purchases via PayPal.

Although there are no solid details to announce, Schulman told Bloomberg that PayPal and Amazon have indeed talked about bringing PayPal on as a payment option for Amazon’s customers. With nearly 200 million users on its platform right now, Schulman said it’s hard for any retailer to think about not accepting PayPal.

The talks thus far have focused on how to use each other’s assets to the mutual benefit of their customers, Schulman said.

As unlikely as it may sound, the fact that PayPal isn’t a payment option on Amazon has never once crossed my mind until today.

Amazon and PayPal both got their start in the ‘90s and thus, could be considered among the early pioneers of the Internet. Why the two haven’t done business together thus far, however, likely has to do with the fact that eBay, a staunch rival of Amazon’s, purchased PayPal in 2002.

In late 2014, it was announced that eBay would be spinning PayPal off into a separate company, a move that was complete the following July.

Lead image courtesy Getty Images

Permalink to story.

I always assumed that Paypal wasn't an option with Amazon because Ebay still had a controlling interest. Its an overdue change when and if it comes to pass. Paypal is a nice layer of monetary security in the age of massive data hacks.

I always assumed that Paypal wasn't an option with Amazon because Ebay still had a controlling interest. Its an overdue change when and if it comes to pass. Paypal is a nice layer of monetary security in the age of massive data hacks.

Not only that but I use them when buying things from sketchy websites. They provide buyer protection on everything so it forces websites to have a baseline of service.

Not only that but I use them when buying things from sketchy websites. They provide buyer protection on everything so it forces websites to have a baseline of service.

This is the best answer why people should use paypal. The only downside I see if they will allow it with amazon is the extra time to login to paypal server before purchasing. Amazon have one of the best checkout process and is very smooth. They even have the 1click buy button which automates the checkout process.

Very true. It's simply an additional safeguard when conducting business online.

This is the best answer why people should use paypal. The only downside I see if they will allow it with amazon is the extra time to login to paypal server before purchasing. Amazon have one of the best checkout process and is very smooth. They even have the 1click buy button which automates the checkout process.

Paypal also has a one-touch you can enable on your account. It's as simple as clicking the checkout button and it's done.

I still remember the early days of PayPal when they were frequently hacked and their product was used as the source from more than a few scammers .... in fact I still get notices that my paypal account needs re-verification, etc, etc. While I might be tempted to try them again at some point, I am still very leary about the company as well as the product......

Oh boy!! I get cold shudders even hearing the word PayPal. My 6 months horrific experience of their complete inability to treat me as a customer and reply to my emails has left me scarred for life. I will NEVER NEVER - EVER use them again and I avoid dealing with any company which uses them. Have a look at paypalsucks.com and you will read about experiences which will make your hair curl - far worse experiences than mine. And the STILL owe me money - now I need to lie down to reduce my blood pressure. Be warned.

Back