Don't buy one now: Amazon is launching a new Kindle next week

Scorpus

Staff member

If you were thinking of purchasing a Kindle in the next week or so, it's probably worth holding off just a little longer, as Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos has revealed that his company will be launching a new Kindle next week.

There's not much to go on at this stage: Bezos only stated in his tweet that details of this 8th-generation Kindle will be revealed next week. But considering previous Kindles starting shipping just a few weeks after they were announced, there's not much point buying an old one now.

Amazon's current line-up of Kindles has the entry-level Kindle for $80, the backlit and higher-resolution Kindle Paperwhite for $120, and the flagship Kindle Voyage for $200. The Paperwhite is the newest model, having launched in June 2015, while the other two models were released in late 2014.

Bezos only states that a new "top of the line Kindle" is almost ready, so it doesn't sound like Amazon is refreshing the entire Kindle line-up. It's most likely that this new Kindle would replace the Voyage at the top of the product stack, but we'll just have to wait until next week to see what the company has in store.

Permalink to story.

Seems for that price you can get an inexpensive tablet. Kindle readers (yes, you) is a Kindle better than a tablet? Does it play well with other e-books? I had used an Asus ME173X cheap err/inexpensive tablet, but it didn't last long. I actually found the amount of time I spent reading went up when I had the tablet so I need help deciding on the best lower cost replacement. Thanks

Seems for that price you can get an inexpensive tablet. Kindle readers (yes, you) is a Kindle better than a tablet? Does it play well with other e-books? I had used an Asus ME173X cheap err/inexpensive tablet, but it didn't last long. I actually found the amount of time I spent reading went up when I had the tablet so I need help deciding on the best lower cost replacement. Thanks

The kindle has eink, which I really like. It's not the same as reading an lcd screen. It is like reading paper, especially outside, as it looks just like a page. The battery also lasts a month instead of a day. Hands down, kindle for reading.
Having said that, it doesn't play well with other formats,I don't think, but there are apps to convert between formats and I hear they work OK. I usually only buy .mobi, or whatever the kindle format is.

I use a Paperwhite and it's very good. The fact that it won't handle epub files is a nuisance though. It requires mobo files which are a proprietory KIndle format so you need to be able to convert formats. That makes it a bit geeky. My first choice was a Kobo which handles epub but I couldn't get the touch screen to work on mine and exchanged it for the Kindle.

Thank you all,
very familiar with Calibre, I did find battery life on the tablet terrible, so I know what I am going to get now

Thank you all,
very familiar with Calibre, I did find battery life on the tablet terrible, so I know what I am going to get now

Calibre is a must. Epub (I think) is the only thing kindle will not convert for you. .mobi and .azw work fine, and you can email books to the kindle and put 'convert' in subject and amazon will convert/format for you.

Reading experience is unparalleled on Paperwhite with the backlit screen. Just ordered the Voyager for 50 off, selling my 2012 paperwhite to my mother.

I use a Paperwhite and it's very good. The fact that it won't handle epub files is a nuisance though. It requires mobo files which are a proprietory KIndle format so you need to be able to convert formats. That makes it a bit geeky. My first choice was a Kobo which handles epub but I couldn't get the touch screen to work on mine and exchanged it for the Kindle.
.azw is actually the Kindle proprietary file type. mobi isn't associated with kindle, but they work fine on kindle. You can also email a mobi, put 'convert' in subject, and amazon will convert it to azw. Though I have seen no difference or benefit to doing that.

epub is easy to deal with using Calibre, then I just email the azw

Yes, on second thoughts it's best to avoid such sites. Anyone got an opinion on Epubor Ultimate which can convert ebooks to and from just about any format? It's free to try for 30 days.

Yes, on second thoughts it's best to avoid such sites. Anyone got an opinion on Epubor Ultimate which can convert ebooks to and from just about any format? It's free to try for 30 days.

Dude, just use Calibre. Hands down the best software, and its free. Easily handles epub conversions to literally any format you could want

Back