TechSpot

Don't know where to post this: What is the difference between ms and ping?

By ShoGun187
Nov 10, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey, could someone please give me a good explanation of what the difference between ping and ms is?

In World of Warcraft if you have 200 ms you don't lag, but if you have 200 ping in counter-strike you lag really badly!

What is the difference? Please help :p
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Ping is a networking term referring to a routine that measures the round trip time of a network packet. Ms is short for milliseconds and it is the unit in which the round trip time is measured.

The number 200 means exactly the same, just a matter of slang people use. Your lag or no lag experience is because you are comparing two completely different games. CS is a fast action-paced shooter while WoW is a roleplaying game.
  3. ShoGun187

ShoGun187 TS Rookie Topic Starter

But still, how can it "lagg" less when playing wow then cs?
    Shouldn't it lagg the same ammount?
  4. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

There is less data that needs to be moved between your computer and the server in WoW. And the very nature of WoW makes the lag less noticeable.
  5. kirock

kirock TS Rookie Posts: 1,598

For CS.S to reduce lag, change your cl_updatarate and cl_downdatarate 20 to 80 for both. These are packets/second. I did this and my ping went from an unplayable 130s to playable 50s. ;)
  6. kirock

kirock TS Rookie Posts: 1,598

For CS.S to reduce lag, change your cl_updatarate and cl_cmdrate 20 to 80 for both. These are packets/second. I did this and my ping went from an unplayable 130s to playable 50s. ;)
    Here's a good link to CS tweaks :http://www.pro-hl.com/css_tweaklist.shtml

Doh, I don't know how I posted this twice, meant to edit the original, sorry.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.