Don't know where to post this: What is the difference between ms and ping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShoGun187

Hey, could someone please give me a good explanation of what the difference between ping and ms is?

In World of Warcraft if you have 200 ms you don't lag, but if you have 200 ping in counter-strike you lag really badly!

What is the difference? Please help :p

Ping is a networking term referring to a routine that measures the round trip time of a network packet. Ms is short for milliseconds and it is the unit in which the round trip time is measured.

The number 200 means exactly the same, just a matter of slang people use. Your lag or no lag experience is because you are comparing two completely different games. CS is a fast action-paced shooter while WoW is a roleplaying game.

There is less data that needs to be moved between your computer and the server in WoW. And the very nature of WoW makes the lag less noticeable.

For CS.S to reduce lag, change your cl_updatarate and cl_downdatarate 20 to 80 for both. These are packets/second. I did this and my ping went from an unplayable 130s to playable 50s. ;)

For CS.S to reduce lag, change your cl_updatarate and cl_cmdrate 20 to 80 for both. These are packets/second. I did this and my ping went from an unplayable 130s to playable 50s. ;)
Here's a good link to CS tweaks :http://www.pro-hl.com/css_tweaklist.shtml

Doh, I don't know how I posted this twice, meant to edit the original, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back