Doodle in the air with the Lix 3D printing pen

Shawn Knight

Staff member

doodle lix 3d printing pen

3D printers like those from MakerBot are revolutionary devices that are already having a tremendous impact in fields such as engineering and among those with a flair for creativity. But is the traditional 3D printer as we know it today already obsolete?

3D printing pen makers like Lix sure think so. But, what exactly is a 3D pen anyway?

As the name suggests, a 3D printing pen is simply a pen that allows you to draw in three dimensions. It’s similar to a traditional 3D printer in the fact that it melts and cools colored plastic but instead of programming a machine to do the work for you, a pen gives you the freedom to create whatever you want by drawing freehand.

The concept itself isn’t totally new as 3Doodler lays claim to creating the first such device a little over a year ago. But where their device is a bit clunky and often described as more of a toy than a serious tool for creation, the Lix 3D pen that’s now up for funding on Kickstarter is a sleek machine built with professionals in mind.

The Lix pen actually looks like a regular pen and is powered by a standard USB port on your computer. Its creators claim the device is perfect for making accessories, decoration pieces, fashion prototypes, arts and crafts, artistic jewelry and different forms of drawings.

Lix has already blown past their £30,000 funding goal with more than £200,000 pledged as of writing. Some of the early bird reward tiers are already gone so you’ll need to shell out at least £82 (around $135) if you want one when they ship this December.

Permalink to story.

Ok... Nice concept, like the smaller size, smaller power requirement, finer material printing... But seriously, what is with the people in the video looking to the side of the camera? It's... disconcerting...

Ok... Nice concept, like the smaller size, smaller power requirement, finer material printing... But seriously, what is with the people in the video looking to the side of the camera? It's... disconcerting...
LMAO yeah it is hilarious to watch it.

I have really gained an interest in 3D printing ever since my school district bought 3 5th generation Makerbot Replicators :D. They are so awesome!

The girl is even struggling to read words off the board that's in front of her. If you think about it, takes only the looks to appear on TV, no talent or even basic intelligence, how much credit should it advance to the story?

VitalyT, she is a cofounder of this company. English isn't her first language, why would you judge someone's intelligence and talent on that?

VitalyT, she is a cofounder of this company. English isn't her first language, why would you judge someone's intelligence and talent on that?
My response was purely to what I saw on the video, call it shallow if u want, but I'm not interested in any background checks on who is who behind that business.

Also, funny you should mention those details. I am also a co-founder of a business that's currently being promoted via a video. I'm not involved into the promotion, because for one thing, English is not my first language either :)

Last edited:
The girl is even struggling to read words off the board that's in front of her. If you think about it, takes only the looks to appear on TV, no talent or even basic intelligence, how much credit should it advance to the story?
True, but she can probably read and speak English better than I can French.

I loved it when she said "long, heavy, comfortable and easy to use" - sounds exotic....lol :D

Back