Doom 3 and Quake 4 resolution question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis_84

I have 20 inch dell wide screen monitor and the native resolution for that is 1680x1050. I get this resolution in all the games that I have like, Half life 2, Far Cry, Call of Duty 2, Sims 2 but I don't get that resolution in Doom 3 and Quake 4. So does anyone know why that happens? The highest resolution I get in both of those games is 1280x1024. So can any one tell me what should I do to get the native resolution for both of those games? Thanks for your help.

Other System Specs:
AMD 64 3200+ 2.2 GHz
1 GB Ram
120 GB Hard Drive
BFG 7800 GS OC video card

There is a cfg file you can modify to force the resolution you want - I'll check which one it is when I get home and post it here. It's the same process for both games. You'll want to change your fov also once you've done it.

I'm fairly certian the max resolution supported by Doom 3 engined games (ie. Quake 4) is 1280x, and it has something to do with texture size. Try going into the System properties while in game in Doom3 and see what the maximum resolution is. The resoloution options aren't limited by video card capabilities, but the highest res is there. If it is lower than your screen, I don't think there is much you can do about it.

The highest resolution I get in both games is 1280x1024. But My native res is 1680x1050. The game doesn't look that bad on 1280x1024 but I would like to play it on 1680x1050 because I have 7800 GS video card and it is capable to play the game on the native resolution.

I'm pretty sure you can go much higher than 1280x. I think I tested it at 1920x1200 but got such bad performance that I lowered it. I played at 1440 for a long time also.

TUALMASOK said:
I'm fairly certian the max resolution supported by Doom 3 engined games (ie. Quake 4) is 1280x, and it has something to do with texture size.

Just set
r_mode to -1
r_customheight xxx
r_customwidth xxxx

That should allow you to specify your res.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back